The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:44 pm Actually, it was Trump that proposed a settlement, and Attorney General James who rejected it.

New York attorney general rejects Trump's settlement offer, perhaps clearing the way for a long-expected lawsuit, report says
Well, I should have looked that up before mentioning it. Thanks for the correction. I hope James made the right choice.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

As someone who almost always settles my cases, I suspect that she did.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Liar, liar, pants on fire!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Former U.S. Attorney General William Barr says that not only is it unlikely that New York Attorney General Letitia James has a solid case against Trump, but he thinks this suit is a "political hit job . . . [because] she grossly overreaches when she tries to drag the children into it. Yes, they had roles in the business, but this was his personal financial statement. It was prepared by the CFO, accounting firms were involved in it -- the children aren't going to know the details of that. Nor are they expected in the real world to do their own due diligence and have it reviewed independently. And so, this looks to me like gross overreach which I think will end up backfiring on them, because I think it will make people sympathetic for Trump, that this is another example of people piling on because of Trump Derangement Syndrome, you know, this strong desire to punish him."

As I noted above, my personal desire to see Donald Trump punished is based in my belief that Trump has engaged in criminal activity for most of his life. As for his children, they are adults,* and this is alleged to be case of fraud concerning hundreds of millions** of dollars. If they agreed to be fiscally responsible, and if that responsibility extended to the financial statements in question, then they very much were supposed to perform due diligence!

*Donald Trump, Jr. is 44 and has five children. Ivanka Trump is 40 and has three children. Eric Trump is 37 and has two children. Don Jr. and Eric supposedly ran their father's company while he was President. Ivanka was a top White House aide. These children have wielded great power. And you know what Spider-man says.

**Edited to add: A.G. James actually says that with "the help of Donald Trump Jr., Eric Trump, Ivanka Trump, and other defendants, Donald Trump variously unlawfully inflated and deflated his net worth by billions to obtain and satisfy loans, get insurance benefits, and pay lower taxes. In short, he lied to gain massive financial benefits for himself." (My emphasis.)
Last edited by N.E. Brigand on Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

Barr obviously didn't actually read the Complaint, which goes into great detail about about the role that Don Jr., Ivanka, and Eric played in the fraudulent scheme.
Voronwë the Faithful

As a further explanation for why this is a civil case rather than a criminal case, unlike the attorneys general of most if not all other states, the New York Attorney General does not have the authority to pursue criminal cases, without a special dispensation from the governor. I did not know that previously, and assumed that she would have the authority to pursue criminal cases, and just chose not to. That is apparently why the investigation was run jointly between her office and the Manhattan D.A.'s office, with the latter handling (and botching) the criminal case.

Edited for clarity because apparently my original post was incomprehensible.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

This is worth saying.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I've used the phrase "from a mangy sheep a handful of wool is profit" about 3 times today, and this is #4.

With apologies to Mary who already explained that this is not a good agricultural practice. ;)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Re: Trump Espionage and Obstruction Investigation

Meanwhile, with everything else that happened today (what a day!) it is easy to miss that the trial of Trump associate Tom Barrack, who recommended that Trump hire Paul Manafort as his campaign chairman, and then himself was chairman of the committee overseeing the 2017 Trump inauguration, began today. Barrack is accused of using his longtime friendship with Trump to "illegally provide" government officials from the United Arab Emirates with access to the then-president and senior administration official for "money and power."
Voronwë the Faithful

Yet another important story that got lost in the shuffle yesterday.

E. Jean Carroll says she will sue Trump under NY law for sexual assault and wants his deposition
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:12 pmYet another important story that got lost in the shuffle yesterday.
Yesterday was indeed a Very Bad Day for the world's assorted fascists and semi-fascists. Somebody pass me the world's tiniest violin. An addition to that theme that doesn't really belong in this thread but what the heck, is that the latest round of polling suggests Brazil's Bolsonaro is about to get trounced when they hold elections next month.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Speaking of Fascists, Stephen Colbert's interview of Ken Burns where he discusses his new documentary, The U.S. and The Holocaust is well worth a listen:

Sobering stuff...

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Following yesterday's news about Trump's finances in New York, the Scottish press wonders if there will be a proper accounting of Trump's opaque financial dealings in that country.

And hey, why didn't anyone ever get to the bottom of the Trump Org.'s business in the Middle East?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:48 pm Following yesterday's news about Trump's finances in New York, the Scottish press wonders if there will be a proper accounting of Trump's opaque financial dealings in that country.

And hey, why didn't anyone ever get to the bottom of the Trump Org.'s business in the Middle East?
I've wondered about the dealings in the Middle East.. isn't that what Tom Barrack and Jared Kutchner have been up to?
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Kushner Apartment Company Agrees to $3.2 Million Fine (Baltimore Sun)

That's the long delayed response to what was first reported in 2017:
Tenants in more than a dozen Baltimore-area rental complexes complain about a property owner who they say leaves their homes in disrepair, humiliates late-paying renters and often sues them when they try to move out. Few of them know that their landlord is the president’s son-in-law.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

According to this lawyer, Trump is well and truly s***ed, and he has only himself to blame re. the real estate fraud suit:
I am quite pleased that him (and his family) constantly invoking the Fifth Amendment has come back to bite him! Honest people do not need to invoke the Fifth!

Trump Made N.Y. Attorney General’s Fraud Case Virtually Unbeatable https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... 2FtATSWWNs
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Here is what always baffles me about these kinds of articles (not the article itself, just the information in them)
Trump exaggerated the square footage of his triplex apartment in Trump Tower, claiming it was 30,000 square feet rather than its actual size of 11,000 square feet, and therefore should be valued at $327 million rather than $80 million.
When I want to refinance my house, the banks sends someone to evaluate the property. I don't just *tell* them what I want my house to be worth, or just *tell* them what size it is.

When talking about loans in the millions of dollars, how is it possible that nobody involves independent assessments?? Is the claim that he simply buys off the assessment to say whatever he wants? Or do the banks really look at rich people and think "Sure, this guy *definitely* tells the truth"???
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:34 pm Here is what always baffles me about these kinds of articles (not the article itself, just the information in them)
Trump exaggerated the square footage of his triplex apartment in Trump Tower, claiming it was 30,000 square feet rather than its actual size of 11,000 square feet, and therefore should be valued at $327 million rather than $80 million.
When I want to refinance my house, the banks sends someone to evaluate the property. I don't just *tell* them what I want my house to be worth, or just *tell* them what size it is.

When talking about loans in the millions of dollars, how is it possible that nobody involves independent assessments?? Is the claim that he simply buys off the assessment to say whatever he wants? Or do the banks really look at rich people and think "Sure, this guy *definitely* tells the truth"???
SO much this! I had the exact same thoughts. It must be the privilege of the wealthy.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Never thought of that, but yes, very true! I had to get my property evaluated when I switched my mortgage to a new lender. (And the assessor was former Toronto Maple Leaf coach, Pat Quinn! :shock: )