World News Thread

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: World News Thread

Post by N.E. Brigand »

A couple years ago, someone looked up a whole bunch of 1912 newspapers and posted editorial quips on the sinking of the Titanic. Brutal. Apparently there was a bunch of bad poetry written about the disaster too. (h/t)

"At last accounts, the iceberg was uninjured."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I had never before heard how James Cameron was in a submersible viewing the Titanic wreck when the 9/11 attacks happened, and that upon returning to the surface, he learned about the attacks from the late Bill Paxton, whom Cameron had engaged to narrate the Titanic documentary they were filming. There's even video of Cameron asking, "What happened?" and Paxton saying, "The worst terrorist attack in history, Jim."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Polish PM @MorawieckiM just called on NATO to station nuclear weapons in Poland in response to Russia transferring nuclear weapons to Belarus.

Poland wants to be included in NATO’s Nuclear Sharing Programme.
I don't like where the world is going. But I don't blame Poland, especially given the possibility that the US will put Trump back in charge.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

The Times of Israel and Reuters are reporting respectively that in light of this law that undermines the independence of Israel's judiciary, the credit ratings analyst Moody's and the financial services firm Morgan Stanley are downgrading their position on Israel's credit. Turns out some businesses don't like it when a country's executive can overturn the rule of law.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:48 pm Here is video apparently showing Bolsonaro's supporters attacking a mounted policeman and his horse, knocking the policeman to the ground where he is beaten.
Brazilian authorities are investigating the nation's former president, Jair Bolsonaro, for "selling embezzled watches at a shopping mall outside Philadelphia."

Remember that line in Unfinished Tales about Saruman aspiring to be a dragon but ending up a jackdaw?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

India’s spacecraft has landed on the moon. Yay.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Itamar Ben-Gvir, the National Security Minister in Israel, said yesterday that Israeli freedom of movement in the West Bank trumps that of Palestians in that Palestinian territory.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Inanna wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:06 pm India’s spacecraft has landed on the moon. Yay.
Moon welcomes the Indian spacecraft, after successfully repelling the attempted Russian invasion. :twisted:

Factbox: Russia's Luna-25 moon mission fails: what you need to know
"The apparatus moved into an unpredictable orbit and ceased to exist as a result of a collision with the surface of the Moon," Roskosmos said in a statement.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Lol, Frelga.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well this is an interesting development.
Joint US-Armenia military exercises to be held in Armenia next week. Unprecedented, and a big step considering Azerbaijan's increasing threats and military mobilization.
Armenia-U.S. joint exercise "EAGLE PARTNER 2023"

This came after Armenia expressed disappointment in Russian promises of "peacekeeping" between it and Azerbaijan, especially in the contested Nagorny Karabakh region.

Voronwë the Faithful

I'm not sure that the Jerusalem Post is the most objective source of information about Mexican politics, but still very interesting.

Mexico on track to have its first Jewish, female president

Either way, Mexico will have a female president before the U.S. does, because both leading candidates are women.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

I moved the discussion about Hamas' Attack on Israel to its own thread.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

A grim night for Labo(u)r supporters in the antipodes last night. New Zealand's Labour Government has been defeated, while in Australia, the Federal Labor Government's proposal to amend the Constitution to create an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander advisory body went down decisively.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I was taken aback by the result - not that the proposal was defeated but that not one state passed it.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Impenitent wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:13 am I was taken aback by the result - not that the proposal was defeated but that not one state passed it.
The opinion polls suggest there was a late swing against the motion. Or rather, the 'Yes' case kept on tanking the end. I did some canvassing for Yes in Keilor in early September, it was pretty miserable.

(graph from Wikipedia)

Screenshot 2023-10-15 102200.png
Screenshot 2023-10-15 102200.png (59.77 KiB) Viewed 3494 times
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:(
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Was there some heavy campaigning by the No side that won people over?
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

The No campaign used scare tactics and misinformation.

The booth I was at yesterday had a 70 / 30 stream of yes voters, and I foolishly got my hopes up.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I think that high-profile opposition from Indigenous people on both the left (Senator Thorpe) and right (Senator Price, Warren Mundine) created a muddled situation, and given the cost of living crisis, the Yes Campaign failed to cut through the confusion. The response I got out in Keilor was mostly apathy.