World News Thread

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Re: World News Thread

Post by Eldy »

Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

On the other end of Eurasia:

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/07/11104275 ... er-reports
Japan's former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was shot during a campaign speech Friday in western Japan and was airlifted to a hospital but he was not breathing and his heart had stopped, officials said.
Abe has been out of office for nearly two years, and gun crime in Japan is extremely rare, so these were some real out of the blue headlines.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Eldy wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:12 am On the other end of Eurasia:

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/07/11104275 ... er-reports
Japan's former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was shot during a campaign speech Friday in western Japan and was airlifted to a hospital but he was not breathing and his heart had stopped, officials said.
Abe has been out of office for nearly two years, and gun crime in Japan is extremely rare, so these were some real out of the blue headlines.
Just awful about Abe. Killed by an apparently homemade gun in a nation whose annual murder rate is about 0.25 per 100,000 people. By comparison, the U.S. rate is about 5.00 per 100,000 people (or 20 times higher). Japan saw just nine murders committed with a gun in 2018 -- the last year I can find data for both countries -- as compared to the U.S., which has that many gun murders every 2.5 hours. (The U.S. is nearly three times larger, so adjust that number to every 7.5 hours if you like.)

Edited to add the statement on Abe's death issued by former U.S. President Barack Obama:

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Xiran Anime North Soon! @XiranJayZhao wrote:

I am following the developing political unrest in the UK, an island country off the coast of Europe under rule of an ailing monarch and a corruption-laden government, with deep concern. I urge the international community to keep the people of the UK in its thoughts and prayers.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

So you guys are smart and thoughtful. What's the end point for Sri Lanka? The economy has collapsed completely, their crop yields have fallen off a cliff due to an import ban on fertilizer, and their head of state just did a runner in a military jet. Is the rest of the Indian Subcontinent bracing for a refugee crisis? How will this stabilize?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Unfortunately I have ideas about how it *won't* stabilize rather than how it will.

The global community won't send fertilizer. They'll send food. So the farmers will still be unable to produce sufficient crop yields and dependence on foreign aid will be the norm.

The global community will likely send "UN Peace Keepers" which will do little to 'keep the peace' and just brutalize the most vulnerable.

The global community will shake their collective heads about how tragic but please don't come to "our" countries.

The global community won't send medicines or generators to allow local doctors to continue working, they'll send their own doctors who obviously "know better"
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks for asking, River. It has definitely been on my mind. Unfortunately, I am no more optimistic than elengil. But hoping to be proven wrong.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

One of these six people will be the U.K.'s next prime minister. Rishi Sunak (middle, bottom row) is currently in the lead.

small_UK leadership race.jpg
small_UK leadership race.jpg (21.52 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Who are the others, Túrin?
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful

Top row: Foreign Secretary Liz Truss, Tom Tugendhat, the chair of the Commons foreign affairs select committee, and former equalities minister Kemi Badenoch
Bottom row: Attorney General Suella Braverman (she has now been eliminated and has pledged her support to Truss), Sunak (the former chancellor), and former Defense Secretary Penny Mordaunt.

I think.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Thank you, V!
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

That's right. They're now down to five.
Voronwë the Faithful

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Is Sunak still the favourite?
Voronwë the Faithful

He got the highest count in the last vote, but I don't know if that makes him the favorite in the final vote. Túrin would likely know more.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I honestly don't know how the Tory base is likely to vote - Sunak is being called the front-runner though.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

What's happening in Serbia and Kosovo?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

I could post some articles, but I sure would like to hear from River first.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I have no idea. I've been fighting metaphorical fires on the homefront.

ETA: Okay, I did some reading. Don't have time to post now but I can summarize very succinctly: :bang:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

Good luck on the homefront! :hug: