Revisiting Rings

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Revisiting Rings

Post by Frelga »

Well, we don't know what Amazon is doing. =:)

We are so far away from where going to a movie theater is a sensible thing...
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote:Well, we don't know what Amazon is doing. =:)

We are so far away from where going to a movie theater is a sensible thing...
I know! I keep going “what?” in these threads. :P. Mumble-grumble
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

One other thing which struck me from the films - I give PJ& Co real credit for taking some of the enigmatic dialogue over into the film. For example, Gandalf's "I am a servant of the secret fire...". This sort of thing is what creates Tolkien's distant visas in the books, and I really appreciate that the film-makers gave the audience enough credit to include some of it.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yes, although I was very conscious during Galadriel's "I have passed the test. I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel" that it really makes no sense to the audience. :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Did it make all that much more sense to the book audience? It was pretty meaningless to me until I read The Sil.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I dunno, I remember there was a lot of vague stuff about the elves fading, and leaving Middle-earth that gave it a little more context.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The "diminishing and passing into the west" came out in both the book and the film (at least a little in the EE) but I only understood what she meant by passing the test when I read the Sil.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Alatar wrote:Yes, although I was very conscious during Galadriel's "I have passed the test. I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel" that it really makes no sense to the audience. :)
I think it's one of those tricky things that can make sense to the audience even when they don't realize they don't understand it.

"I passed the test" to me (pre Sil) was easily a reference to simply being tested in her desire for the Ring. Easy to assume that's what she meant given how much other characters have harped on it. Diminish and go into the West might have been a bit trickier but could still be taken by the unlearned audience to mean simply she will no longer be a great queen of her own realm, or because her ring will fade so will she get lesser, etc. There are a lot of possible interpretations that are open to the audience without necessarily knowing the full context of why she said what she said.

That said, obviously there *is* a lot of context that gives the true meaning to her words for those who know what it is, but I don't think that means not having that info makes her statement entirely nonsensical or baffling. It's just, you fill in the meaning based on what context you have at the time. For the movie audience (or even just the non Sil audience) there is still plenty of meaning to be ascribed, just perhaps not the truest or deepest meaning.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Well said, elengil!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

:oops:
It has been a very long time since I've read some of the other books by Tolkien, so I had been sporadically reading sections of the Silmarilion lately, and then this discussion got me thinking about Galadriel specifically but I couldn't really remember where in Silmarilion it all went down so I looked it up, and I think I might actually be confusing the Sil with Unfinished Tales in many areas. They kind of blend together in my memory at this point.

It's a good read, and a nice refresher on some points. I wonder if that Amazon series might even go so far as to cover the Two Trees? If done right that could be spectacular. But seems like it would be very hard to 'get right' based on the way Tolkien wrote those other books as less stories and more... histories.

https://www.tor.com/2017/04/18/the-trial-of-galadriel/
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

So if someone pitched this to you, would you say it was a good idea?

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That was so funny. I especially liked how he treated Osgiliath.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

yovargas wrote:There are rumors/expectations that the LOTR films will get a fancy 4K home release next year, and I'm hoping to have a fancy new 4K TV by next year as well. So I'm kinda holding out for that before rewatching it again.
Do you know if they're planning to do The Hobbit as well? Extended or Theatrical version?

Also, do we need a special DVD player to take advantage of the 4K format, or just a 4K TV?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Jude wrote: Do you know if they're planning to do The Hobbit as well? Extended or Theatrical version?

Also, do we need a special DVD player to take advantage of the 4K format, or just a 4K TV?
No idea about the first questions since nothing has actually been announced, it's just rumors. But I can answer the last question - 4K discs require a 4K player. They won't work in bluray or dvd players. They don't require a 4K TV, but without one it would look like a regular bluray so there would be no point.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The Pitch Meeting channel has done RoTK as well:

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Random Youtube video - film lines from the books:

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Túrin Turambar wrote:The Pitch Meeting channel has done RoTK as well:

Ohmigod. My stomach. This was so funny!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Túrin Turambar wrote:Random Youtube video - film lines from the books:

I enjoyed that. Here is part two of FOTR (I would imagine they also cover TTT and ROTK, but I haven't seen those as of yet):

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

TTT is up, but not RotK last time I checked. They miss a couple ("not idly do the leaves of Lórien fall") but it's fascinating to see which characters get mostly book-faithful dialogue (Gollum and Treebeard), where the lines are shifted around, and where they're abridged or changed.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

July 2020, yovargas wrote:There are rumors/expectations that the LOTR films will get a fancy 4K home release next year, and I'm hoping to have a fancy new 4K TV by next year as well. So I'm kinda holding out for that before rewatching it again.
Time to upgrade to that fancy new 4K TV and player, folks!!
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will release on 4K Blu-ray The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (2001-2003). The box set is expected to be available for purchase later this year.

In addition to the standard release, the studio will also have available for purchase The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K Blu-ray Giftset.

Also arriving on 4K Blu-ray later this year is The Hobbit The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K Blu-ray Extended & Theatrical.
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists