News from Bree and other random discussions

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: News from Bree and other random discussions

Post by elengil »

I don't even know of one who died 3 times. I can think of several who died twice.. and a few mortals who didn't die at all... but 4 times? Do enlighten!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Jude wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:30 pm Just for fun, here's a trivia question for you all: Which Tolkien character died four times?

(maybe more; I can think of four times off the top of my head)
Hmm. I think Sauron lost his body three times and was threatened with having it happen a fourth time (which would have been the first time) if he didn't cooperate with his captor. Not sure if that's what you you have in mind. Or if I'm counting wrong.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's pretty much what I was thinking, too. I can't think of who else it could be, off the top of my head, but I'll keep thinking.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

You're both correct, it's Sauron. Here's the tally I came up with:

First Age: killed by Huan
Second Age: drowned when Númenor is destroyed
Second Age: killed by Elendil and Gil-Galad
Third Age: permanently (as far as we know) killed when Ring is destroyed

Moral: crime does not pay
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Jude wrote:You're both correct, it's Sauron. Here's the tally I came up with:

First Age: killed by Huan
Second Age: drowned when Númenor is destroyed
Second Age: killed by Elendil and Gil-Galad
Third Age: permanently (as far as we know) killed when Ring is destroyed

Moral: crime does not pay
I don’t know. Everyone else died just once or twice. Looks like crime gave him higher number of lives.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yes, and he did well for himself in some of his lives.

And he would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling Hobbits.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Would you rather have one long interrupted life of a few thousand years, or spend several of those years dead?

Also, some of his deaths were quite unpleasant.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Jude wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:11 pm You know what I would really like? An edition of LOTR but published under the title "The Downfall of the Lord of the Rings and the Return of the King". Bonus points if it's issued in a beautiful red hardbook cover.
I just read a Wikipedia article that lists the original titles that Tolkien wanted for the individual volumes. So my ideal edition would be six individual volumes with the following titles:

The Ring Sets Out
The Ring Goes South
The Treason of Isengard
The Ring Goes East
The War of the Ring
The End of the Third Age

All enclosed in a beautiful red slipcase.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That should happen.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Want.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I've posted a few reaction videos from people watching the films for the first time. This is the first one I've found of a fan of the films reacting to the books:

[media][/media]

She's only gone through FotR so far, and while she's found a lot to like she's also found it hard going overall. Her favourite chapters seem to be the first couple, in the Shire. She struggled most through the Old Forest and Bombadil chapters. As a side note, even as a long-term fan of the books my preferences are similar.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Jude wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:20 pm
Jude wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:11 pm You know what I would really like? An edition of LOTR but published under the title "The Downfall of the Lord of the Rings and the Return of the King". Bonus points if it's issued in a beautiful red hardbook cover.
I just read a Wikipedia article that lists the original titles that Tolkien wanted for the individual volumes. So my ideal edition would be six individual volumes with the following titles:

The Ring Sets Out
The Ring Goes South
The Treason of Isengard
The Ring Goes East
The War of the Ring
The End of the Third Age

All enclosed in a beautiful red slipcase.
Not sure about the slipcase, but in the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia (2006) entry on The Treason of Isengard, John F.G. Magoun writes:

"At least one edition of The Lord of the Rings has since been published as six individual books, with book 3 bearing the original title" (675).
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga: NO! Say it ain't so!
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I nearly picked this up at the time, but they were pretty poor quality paperbacks.

https://biblio.co.uk/book/lord-rings-7- ... qIQAvD_BwE

However, if you have the money...

https://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Mille ... 0618037667
For the first time, The Lord of the Rings is presented as a boxed set of seven hardcover volumes, one for each of its six parts plus a seventh volume containing maps and the appendices. Bound in black covers with the distinctive Eye of Sauron design from the original jackets embossed in red and gold foil on each volume. Each book bears Tolkien's originally conceived title -- The Ring Sets Out, The Ring Goes South, The Treason at Isengard, The Ring Goes East, The War of the Ring, The End of the Third Age -- and has been specially typeset for this edition.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Hmm... when I zoom in on the image, I just see "The Lord of the Rings" on each volume. Also, it doesn't have Frodo's original title of "The Downfall of the Lord of the Rings and the Return of the King".

It's a beautiful edition. But it doesn't fulfill my criteria.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

And it’s 500!!!! Dollars.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:45 am

Yes, but how long until he's as old as he was in the movie? :D
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

24 years from now. Or was that rhetorical?
elengil

Post by elengil »

Jude wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:32 pm 24 years from now. Or was that rhetorical?
A little of both. :D
was a 2020 planner.