Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't think it is too spoilerish to put the newly revealed title of the movie in the thread title, though it certainly is suggestive.

Here's the first trailer.

(Like so much else these days, I can't see this without thinking of Prim and what she would think of it.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Post by elengil »

I've seen a lot of people making the jump that Skywalker must obviously refer to Rey. But I think they are overlooking that both Leia *or* Kylo (or both?) could be at least part of the hidden meaning in that title
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm impressed that Rey is facing this battle in carefully applied, 201x Earth-style makeup, although she could really benefit from non-clumping mascara.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

elengil wrote:I've seen a lot of people making the jump that Skywalker must obviously refer to Rey. But I think they are overlooking that both Leia *or* Kylo (or both?) could be at least part of the hidden meaning in that title
My mind immediately went to Rey, but fingers crossed the actual meaning is indeed something else.

Kylo Ren is obviously far from a reliable source so it wouldn't be a retcon for Episode IX to contradict what he told Rey in TLJ, but I would prefer for Rey to not be a secret Skywalker (or Kenobi, or whatever). Fantasy--in space or otherwise--can always use more heroes who are not primarily defined by their birth. It also wasn't that long ago that wishing the mainline Star Wars movies would stop making everyone share backstories and open up the scope of the setting was a common viewpoint in online fandom, but the figurative battle lines of nerd discourse have been redrawn in recent years.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

My suspicion is the Skywalker will become a new title for Jedi. Luke said it was time for the Jedi order to die because it had failed. Maybe Skywalker will be the new order that embraces parts of the dark and light side of the force.

I also read a fan theory that Rey was a clone grown from Luke’s severed hand. ;)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Unfortunately, I read that last sentence just as I was taking a sip of coffee.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

"Rei, I am your father."

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"Image

Typed on a tiny phone keyboard on Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Unfortunately, I read that last sentence just as I was taking a sip of coffee.
where did the coffee hit first?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I would like to state for the record that it takes every bit of my restraint not to make the obvious jokes.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ooooh, don’t hold back!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Damn. Tears pouring down my face as I post this. What a terrible loss to the world of Star Wars!

https://www.nbcchicago.com/entertainmen ... Zi6oSu6PQU
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
elengil

Post by elengil »

:( Oh man, he wasn't that old, either. I mean yeah he was older but not old.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

Final trailer.

I can only muster a minor degree of excitement. I would be more excited if my friend was still here to be excited with.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

What V said. All those conversations left unfinished.

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

It looks impressive, but I'm concerned that Rian Johnson has written J. J. Abrams into a hole which he won't be able to write himself out of. I admit my dissatisfaction with The Last Jedi has dampened most of my enthusiasm for Episode IX.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

So you know how Admiral Ackbar got a totally unsatisfactory death, and the new character got a kick ass self sacrifice to save the fleet?

My son pointed out that it would have been so much more satisfying if Ackbar had done that, and at the last minute the Empire Commander shouted "Its a trap!!!" :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I ran into this interesting video on why Disney doesn't seem to be enjoying the same success with Lucasfilm as it has with Marvel and Pixar. I think some of the arguments are too strong - it's too early to say Disney has failed with Star Wars, for example, even though the indicators are troubling, and I also think it's easy to overstate the influence of the Sequel Trilogy's political agenda. However, the basic premise is interesting, and a lot of it does come back to George Lucas. He's like the Yin and Yang of the entire franchise, an agent of both creation and destruction:

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The review embargo just ended and the first reviews from the Premiere on Monday are now out. There few I've looked at, mostly from major publications, seem to be averaging about three stars out of five with a consensus of exciting, slick and action-packed but convoluted and too closely tied to the old formula. I'll see if I can get to the theatre this weekend to see it.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The weakest reviews of the new SW movies. I'm not much of a SW guy but it is a bit of a bummer as the new movies have largely been solid fun, and it was easy to see how there was potential to build something genuinely great. Not surprised it didn't quite work out as they didn't really seem to know where they wanted to go with all this.

I'm going on Friday, so you'll likely hear my thoughts then.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil

Post by elengil »

It's very possible that the passing of Carrie Fisher also left them flailing to fill whatever holes she left, as I understood she was meant to be integral to the plot? That can certainly derail a movie, especially if they needed to make massive script/story changes.
was a 2020 planner.