How many books do you read? On average.

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: How many books do you read? On average.

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:hug:

Who is/was Sue Tolkien? A quick google search only comes up with various articles about lawsuits the Tolkien Estate has been involved in, or a few articles about Tolkien at the website "The Mary Sue".
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Sue Tolkien was an artifact of a TORC thread Should I read the books (or something like that), a tongue in cheek thread born from frustration with the movie centric tone of the boards at the time.

Someone complained about Tolkien preemptively ripping off the movies with his novels, someone else replied "Sue Tolkien!" and so Sue Tolkien was born and blamed for all the ways in which the books did not live up to the movies.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Ah, okay. I don't recall that at all, but that doesn't mean that I wasn't involved. I tried to do a search at TORC, but I could find anything.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I found this one Is teh bok as good as teh m00bie?? but it references Sue Tolkien in the first few posts and I don't have time to search further.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

Ah, well that explains why I didn't find it, and why I don't recall it. It was in the Books forum, not the m00bies forum, where I participated, and where I was looking.

ETA: Or did it get moved from the Movies forum to the Books forum at some point? I do see an awful lot of familiar names.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

There was another thread in Movies IRRC. The best part was when an innocent newbie came along and lectured everyone on the virtues of the book. They'd get increasingly absurd replies until it finally dawned on them that they walked into a trap. It was fairly good natured, by the standards of the forum in those days.

Voronwë the Faithful

While I was looking around, I spent some time re-looking at some of the old m00bies threads. What an incredible time that was.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Inanna wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:38 pm TEST

Try this
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

This is weird. In Innana's post I only see the url. In Alatar's post I see the embeddification for both, even though the first one is just the url inside a quote tag.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Me too. Maybe cause we're admins?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Okay, let's try this: raw url without quote tags...

It's a miracle!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

No, that's how I am seeing it too - In Alatar's post I see both embedded.
(In tapatalk, I see neither embedded)

ETA: Can see Jude's embedded.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

WTF. I can see Jude’s video embedded in Tapatalk.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Tapatalk: Jude's video embedded, Inanna's link is not.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I set this forum's permissions, but I still see Inanna's link as just a link. Maybe the permission change only works for posts after they were changed? But that doesn't make sense to me.

Can one of you non-admins try posting another youtube link?