He both loves and hates the ring look as he loves and hates

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
TolkienJRR

He both loves and hates the ring look as he loves and hates

Post by TolkienJRR »

Looking for a quote similar to the above by Gandalf about Gollum. Is his only a movie out e or is there similar in the books? I remember in FOTR reading a quote that said Gollum hated the ring. I think it was by Aragorn. Does anyone know of a quote like this in the books?
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: He both loves and hates the ring look as he loves and ha

Post by Jude »

This might be the quote you're looking for:
‘What do you mean?’ said Frodo. ‘Surely the Ring was his precious and the only thing he cared for? But if he hated it, why didn’t he get rid of it, or go away and leave it?’

‘You ought to begin to understand, Frodo, after all you have heard,’ said Gandalf. ‘He hated it and loved it, as he hated and loved himself. He could not get rid of it. He had no will left in the matter.
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Jude wrote:This might be the quote you're looking for:
‘What do you mean?’ said Frodo. ‘Surely the Ring was his precious and the only thing he cared for? But if he hated it, why didn’t he get rid of it, or go away and leave it?’

‘You ought to begin to understand, Frodo, after all you have heard,’ said Gandalf. ‘He hated it and loved it, as he hated and loved himself. He could not get rid of it. He had no will left in the matter.

Perfect thank you so much. :bow:
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Always glad to help!