2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Re: 2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

Post by Dave_LF »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:17 pm Oh.. I don't know of anyone who would entertain the slightest notion that Trump would choose to run with Pence again. He chose Pence to get the evangelical vote. I'm very cynical about the 'evangelical vote' so.. I'll just leave it at that.
I'd say Kari Lake is his leading VP candidate at the moment, seeing as how she's available.

Donald Trump and the US Evangelicals are indistinguishable at this point. They've all merged into one big stinking mass of bad faith.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Ugh. It boggles my mind that they can still support him. :(

When Obama attended the prayer breakfast after being elected, he quote scripture: "God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and a sound mind".

Trump talked about his TV ratings at the prayer breakfast... :roll:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Sunsilver wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:42 pm Ugh. It boggles my mind that they can still support him. :(
Again, my cynicism, but this is proof (to me) that it's all about power and control and weaponizing religion. It has very little to do with faith.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

A Florida state judge has ruled that Michael Flynn must testify to the Georgia grand jury empaneled in the Fulton County district attorney's investigation into efforts to interfere in the 2020 election. One point that intrigues me that I hadn't heard before (or had forgotten) is that among the information sought by the Georgia prosecutors is that pertaining to Donald Trump's pardon of Flynn (i.e., whether it was issued as part of a quid pro quo for helping Trump's 2020 election efforts to overturn the 2020 election). Flynn is scheduled to testify a week from today.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

LOL, I was just coming here to post about that! I was also intrigued by the news that they are interested in asking about his pardon. One additional point of note is that the Florida judge denied Flynn's request for a stay pending appeal. So, unless the appeals court is willing to grant a stay, Flynn's testimony should proceed as scheduled (the same day as the oral argument in the appeal in the Trump documents case).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:51 pmAgain, my cynicism, but this is proof (to me) that it's all about power and control and weaponizing religion. It has very little to do with faith.
Contemporary Evangelicals are also increasingly out of step with what their religion actually teaches, much to the consternation of those who take the faith seriously in and of itself, rather than as a signifier of cultural or political allegiance.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Yes, mark me down as one of those! :(
Attachments
New Hypocritical Version.jpg
New Hypocritical Version.jpg (68.53 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I hereby nominate that sign as Best Protest Sign of 2022.
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm pretty sure that this is a good sign that criminal referrals will be made, given who is leading the subcommittee.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

ETA:
Voronwë the Faithful

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

A jury today returned a mixed verdict in the case of Jan. 6th insurrectionist Riley Williams of Pennsylvania. Williams, a self-described "Groyper" (white nationalists who follow Nick Fuentes), was convicted of six counts, most seriously of "impeding officers who tried to clear the Capitol Rotunda," but the jury hung on two other charges: "whether Williams 'aided and abetted' in the theft of a laptop from Pelosi’s office . . . and obstruction of Congress' Jan. 6 proceeding." Williams's attorney (a public defender) apparently was successful in convincing some jurors that while Williams did break the law by being in the Capitol, she was too stupid to realize the gravity of what she was doing. That said, apparently Williams did urge others in Pelosi's office to "take that fucking laptop" and advised one rioter to "put on gloves" when he went to do so.

The article doesn't say and I don't remember: was that stolen laptop ever recovered?
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't recall ever seeing any credible reports that it had been located or returned. A search reveals some distasteful conspiracy theories, not surprisingly.
Voronwë the Faithful

Closing arguments in the trial of Stewart Rhodes and four other members of the Oath Keepers group charged with seditious conspiracy connected with the 1/6 insurrection were completed today, and jury deliberations will begin tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. However, court will be closed the rest of the week (including Wednesday) so if no verdict is reached tomorrow (which seems unlikely in such a complicated case), deliberations will pick back up on Monday, 11/28.
Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Can anyone else see Voronwë's Twitter links? I can only see them if I click the quote button.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I can see them...
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Jude wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:36 pmI can see them...
WHOA! Really?? :shock: :scratch:

I wonder if my security &/or Firefox is blocking Twitter links.
Voronwë the Faithful

They certainly appear for me. You're not on Tapatalk, right, Rose? Must be some setting in your browser, I would think.