2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Lindsey Graham's application for a stay to the Supreme Court has been denied. He has no recourse left, and must testify at the Georgia grand jury investigating the 2020 election or be held in contempt.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

The Chinese agent described below also promoted pro-Trump election theories in 2020 to "her" thousands of followers, so I'm noting it here:

Voronwë the Faithful

The DOJ has rested its case against Stewart Rhodes and the other 4 members of the Oathkeepers that are on trial for seditious conspiracy.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

:shock: :shock: He said that IN COURT?? And this, after Paul Pelosi being attacked at home and seriously injured?
:doh:

Hope he gets the max! Wow! Would have loved to have seen his lawyer's face at that moment! :nono:

Edit: it's a real eye-opener to read what his children had to say about him: https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/202 ... dren-speak He saw himself as the new George Washington, destined to bring down the existing government.

And remember, Trump, and especially Rand Paul, had close ties with this group! :shock: :shock:

Another Twitter user reported this reaction to Rhode's outburst, by Fox News: “We shouldn’t politicize this statement” — Tucker Carlson tonight. :shock:

Holy **** :roll:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful

No, it was a recording that the prosecutors played.

Rhodes' attorneys have indicated that he intends to testify.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

That should be interesting!
Voronwë the Faithful

It remains to be seen if it actually happens.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

"Over the past two years, Texas Attorny General Ken Paxton’s office opened at least 10 investigations into alleged crimes by election workers in 2020, a more extensive effort than previously known, according to records obtained by ProPublica. One of his probes was spurred by a complaint from a county GOP chair, who lost her reelection bid in a landslide. She then refused to certify the results, citing 'an active investigation' by the attorney general."

I appreciate the article's reminder that Paxton himself "has been under a securities fraud indictment for seven years."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh, where to put this? I think I'll just leave it here. GOP Rep. Dan Crenshaw: Election Deniers Admit It's A Lie Behind Closed Doors.
But even just the others, they’re like, ‘Yeah, we know that, but we just, you know, people just need their last hurrah. Like, they just need to feel like we fought one last time. Trust me, it’ll be fine.’ And I was like, ‘No, it won’t. That’s not what people believe and that’s not what you’re telling them. And maybe you’re smart enough to know that but like …’ So we have a lot of people in the political world that are just willing to say things they know aren’t true, they know aren’t true. It’s a huge manipulation.
Never mind that people are going to jail. That people have been hurt or have even died. It's just 'to rile people up'. ugh.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

So Rhodes began testifying on Friday and is back on the stand today, with cross-examination scheduled later today. Most interesting. He claims that it was not the plan for Oathkeepers to actually breach the Capital, despite the fact that many did so, including one of his co-defendants, Kelly Meggs.

Voronwë the Faithful

If you want to follow Rhodes cross-examination in detail the best live tweeter is Roger Parloff of Lawfare. It is virtually an in the moment transcript. The cross-examination begins at:

Some really amazing stuff.
Voronwë the Faithful

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

:rofl: LOL!!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Mike Pence says that Donald Trump's words on January 6th "endangered me and my familiy."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:27 am Mike Pence says that Donald Trump's words on January 6th "endangered me and my familiy."
January 6th will be remembered by historians. On that day Pence did the right thing and refused to get in the car. If he were any type of true leader he would have told the American public why he knew not to get in that car (or any number of things leading up to that time which gave him misgivings). A true leader would have willingly gone before the Jan. 6th committee and answered their questions. While I give Pence credit for 'doing the right thing' he has done so only by half measure. Should he decide to run for president, I'd say his lack of disclosure to the American people disqualifies him (in my eyes) as leader material.
Voronwë the Faithful

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:52 am
January 6th will be remembered by historians. On that day Pence did the right thing and refused to get in the car. If he were any type of true leader he would have told the American public why he knew not to get in that car (or any number of things leading up to that time which gave him misgivings). A true leader would have willingly gone before the Jan. 6th committee and answered their questions. While I give Pence credit for 'doing the right thing' he has done so only by half measure. Should he decide to run for president, I'd say his lack of disclosure to the American people disqualifies him (in my eyes) as leader material.
Very true. But like all Republicans, he knew that he dared not p*** off Trump, or his career would be over. I'm going to predict now that if Trump runs for re-election, he will choose a new running mate for V.P. because Pence refused to do his bidding on Jan. 6th.
(Sorry - I don't know exactly how the VP is chosen in the U.S. I should look that up but don't have the time right now.)
Last edited by Sunsilver on Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh.. I don't know of anyone who would entertain the slightest notion that Trump would choose to run with Pence again. He chose Pence to get the evangelical vote. I'm very cynical about the 'evangelical vote' so.. I'll just leave it at that.