The challenges ahead (Biden's America)

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Sunsilver

Re: The challenges ahead (Biden's America)

Post by Sunsilver »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:21 am Joe Biden's administration continues to try to show how government can work for the people. The spokesperson for Sec. of Transportation Pete Buttigieg today said that:

"Two weeks ago, none of the ten largest airlines in the U.S. guaranteed meals or hotels if they caused your delay or cancellation. The United States Department of Transportation stepped in and demanded more. Now, two weeks later, eight of the ten airlines cover hotels, and nine of the ten cover meals."
That's wonderful! My flight was delayed one time, forcing me to stay overnight in Kentucky. By the time I got to my hotel, everything was closed, and the only food I could find for supper was a small and VERY overpriced TV dinner provided by a hotel vending machine! I had to get up at 5 to make my flight to Toronto, and no breakfast was provided either. Most of the restaurants and food kiosks in the airport weren't open at that hour, but I think I managed to grab a coffee and a bagel from one of the few that was, and still make my flight in time. It was a pretty horrible experience.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I watched about half the speech. He's dead right, although the evil sci-fi emperor aesthetics were unfortunate.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

There's a parody social media account called the "New York Times Pitchbot" that posits what a ridiculous journalistic response to the daily news might look like. Yesterday the account proposed these headlines:

-- "Opinion | The things Biden says about the GOP are true. But he shouldn't have said them."

-- "Opinion | Maybe if we just pretend Trump and his followers are normal for long enough, this will all just go away."

Hours later, it was not the New York Times but the Washington Post which published this:

-- "Opinion | Democracy is in danger. Biden should invoke patriotism, not partisanship, to make that point." By The Editorial Board.

It's a pretty short piece, and it's not entirely off base, but as in the parody headlines, the emphasis is backwards.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

This reminds me of all those "protest" memes like "Why can't you protest peacefully?" and then it show protesters taking knees silently and the same people are all "No, not like that!"

People want to dictate others cater to their personal sensibilities and it just doesn't work that way.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I like this chart (source) that attempts to describe the current state of the U.S. economy:

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This is a BFD. This strike would have caused terrible havoc.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It's the (real) Art of the Deal.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Yep, unlike Trump, Biden knows how to compromise and negotiate!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

An amusing post on one of the president's social media accounts:

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Way to go, Joe. A long time train rider, btw.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Had to share this:

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Lol!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

That Florida's governor spending his state's money to fly migrants from Texas to Massachusetts as part of a publicity stunt may not by itself be criminal, but this part whereby they were apparently tricked to getting on the plane under false pretenses sure ought to be:

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I knew DeSantis did this but I hadn't realized it was TEXAS migrants. Messed up.
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, they were flown from Texas, to Florida, and then to Martha's Vineyard.

N.E.B., I agree that the behavior is criminal, but as you would guess, I very much doubt that any charges will ever be brought against anyone.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

How is it that rich, white men get away with everything? Martha Stewart went to prison. Sheesh.
Voronwë the Faithful

RoseMorninStar wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:32 am How is it that rich, white men get away with everything? Martha Stewart went to prison. Sheesh.
Please, Rose, I know you are upset, but that is a nonsensical comparison. There are plenty of rich white men who have gone to prison for the same type of thing that Martha Stewart rightly was convicted of doing.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:52 am
RoseMorninStar wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:32 am How is it that rich, white men get away with everything? Martha Stewart went to prison. Sheesh.
Please, Rose, I know you are upset, but that is a nonsensical comparison. There are plenty of rich white men who have gone to prison for the same type of thing that Martha Stewart rightly was convicted of doing.
I should have explained myself. I watched a report, I think yesterday (?) regarding senators/congresspersons who have engaged in insider trading with little to no repercussions. It is frustrating that so many seem to become lawmakers in order to become lawbreakers with little to no consequences.

V, you have often commented that nothing with come of crimes/broken laws that, had it been you or I or any other ordinary person, I doubt we'd get off so easily. It seems there are different standards and there shouldn't be. Perhaps you are more accustomed to the ways of the courts and nothing coming of crimes but it seems incredible to me. I'm afraid of making a tiny unintentional mistake on my taxes!

Needless to say, I'd make a terrible lawyer.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:09 am That Florida's governor spending his state's money to fly migrants from Texas to Massachusetts as part of a publicity stunt may not by itself be criminal, but this part whereby they were apparently tricked to getting on the plane under false pretenses sure ought to be:

This qualifies as human trafficking, doesn't it?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

River wrote:This qualifies as human trafficking, doesn't it?
As my 'buddy' Seth Abramson correctly points out:

It also could be considered kidnapping across state lines.