Project Northmoor - Save Tolkien's Home

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Project Northmoor - Save Tolkien's Home

Post by Alatar »

Support the campaign to save J.R.R. Tolkien’s home and establish a literary centre.
20 Northmoor Road is his former home in Oxford where he wrote The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

https://www.projectnorthmoor.org/

https://www.projectnorthmoor.org/video

IF WE RAISE:
£4 million ($5.4 million USD) – we can buy the house.
£4.5m ($6.1MM USD) (For another £500 000) – we could renovate it into a homely house Tolkien would recognise and restore the garden.
£4.6m ($6.2MM USD) (For another £100 000) – we could establish a fund for bursaries to help those from a low-income background come to the house for one of the creative courses or special events.
£ 4.7m ($6.3MM USD) (For another £200 000) – we could build a hobbit house at the end of the garden.
£4.8m ($6.45 MM USD) (For another £200 000) – we could build a flet in Tolkien’s tree and Smaug’s lair for pipe smokers.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: Project Northmoor - Save Tolkien's Home

Post by yovargas »

This seems a bit odd to me cuz, isn't the Tolkien estate pretty darn rich? Hard to imagine they couldn't do this themselves if they wanted to.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:This seems a bit odd to me cuz, isn't the Tolkien estate pretty darn rich? Hard to imagine they couldn't do this themselves if they wanted to.
That was my thought, right after I choked on 4 million pounds. It would be an awesome project, but...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Who is the we who will buy the house?

Also, 4 million is something the estate could get with a snap of the fingers in the direction of anyone who would love to film bits of Silmarillion.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

But I think the point is that they're not doing any of this, it seems. I mean, I think it's a cool idea, and I might chip in a bit.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm still not clear who owns the house now, whether they have any intention of selling it or giving the public access to it, and who proposes to own and maintain it for this project.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

This looks like a way of creating an expensive B&B, funded by fans. Really.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote:I'm still not clear who owns the house now, whether they have any intention of selling it or giving the public access to it, and who proposes to own and maintain it for this project.
The FAQ answers that. One couple living close by - an author and her husband will own it & maintain it and rent it out to people to stay in and have events in.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude