Where did Beorn Meet Radagast?

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
TolkienJRR

Where did Beorn Meet Radagast?

Post by TolkienJRR »

Beorn said radagast was not bad for a wizard, so they must have met, but where?
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Where did Beorn Meet Radagast?

Post by elengil »

The lived in the same broad region, no? Mirkwood and Mirkwood-adjacent? And Radagast was particularly interested in animals, so Beorn might have been of interest. Or maybe they were simply unlikely friends like Gandalf and Bilbo. Or had overlapping interest in being an enemy of goblins and spiders and such, and in that crossed paths on occasion?
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

https://www.quora.com/Do-we-have-any-ca ... -Rhosgobel
Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth (which I mostly consider canonical, while others do not) contains the most specific reference: "Rhosgobel, called 'the old home of Radagast' in The Fellowship of the Ring II 3 [Part Two, Chapter Three] is said to have been 'in the forest borders between the Carrock and the Old Forest Road.' "

Karen Wynn Fonstad's The Atlas of Middle-earth is not canonical but does identify her best guess as to the location of Rhosgobel. It fits with the description provided in Unfinished Tales cited above.
Rhosgobel.jpg
Rhosgobel.jpg (62.17 KiB) Viewed 3894 times
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Neighbors!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude