2022 U.S. Congressional (and Other) Elections

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2022 U.S. Congressional (and Other) Elections

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

One interesting race to follow is Washington's District 3. 538 gave the Democratic candidate Marie Gluesenkamp Perez just 2% chance of winning (even less than Frisch in his race against Boebert) yet she leads Joe Kent, the GOP candidate 51-49 in the current count. Kent is an extra candidate with ties to white nationalists, who was endorsed by Trump and unseated the incumbent Republican Jaime Herrera Beutler, who voted to impeach Trump, in a primary. Apparently Kent was expecting gains from Clark County and they don't seem to be materializing (which of course is leading to him to spread conspiracy theories about the slow count).

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Interestingly, the GOP has a considerable lead in the total number of votes for House seats, and while it is likely to go down considerably once all the votes are counted, they should maintain the lead, even if the Democrats are able to keep control of the House (not likely, but not impossible).

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

AP and NBC called Arizona for Democrat Mark Kelly, giving Democrats 49 seats in Senate.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Not likely, but not impossible. Unbelievably, we might know who controls the Senate before we know who controls the House!
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Voronwë the Faithful

I agree with Max (whoever they are ;) ).
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:21 pmI agree with Max (whoever they are ;) ).
"an ardent supporter of long nebraska," according to their Twitter bio! :D Who apparently has a friend of mine as a follower. :P
Voronwë the Faithful

This is one of the most important results of this election.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

And also

Democrats make quiet history with state-level gains
If Democrats hold on to Nevada, this will be the first time the party in power hasn't lost a single chamber in a midterms year since 1934, according to the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

The Axios article makes a good point about the state legislative results being especially important in light of the independent state legislature theory making it before SCOTUS. Both this and the secretary of state(s) news make me more confident in the integrity of the 2024 election (which is not even close to the same as "completely confident").
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I really wish we could have gotten rid of Ron Johnson.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful

You do realize that I posted exactly the same thing in the post before you, but from a different tweeter, don't you?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:39 am You do realize that I posted exactly the same thing in the post before you, but from a different tweeter, don't you?
Pretty sure the obvious answer is that no, she did not realize it, hence her post :D
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

*Crowley voice* Obviously. :D

Actually, I don't think we posted the same thing, unless I missed an earlier post. The point of the tweet I posted was that 538 projected Kent to be the winner by 98 to 2.

*Han Solo voice* Never tell me the odds.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:shock: Wow.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Actually, the tweet that I posted had the same 538 projection that yours had (and even an "LOL" at 538).

Cortez Masto has finally taken the lead in Nevada, and some are already calling the race for her. The Senate will be blue no matter what happens in Georgia (but it still is important to win that race, so I'll be going back to writing postcards in a bit).
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Huh, the preview just shows the vote breakdown.

Nevada is "projected," last I saw. But I hope it holds.

CO3 voters are urged to check if their vote was counted, and "cure" their signature if necessary. There is still a small chance for Adam Frisch.

Republicans really shot themselves in the dick with Dobbs.