2022 U.S. Congressional (and Other) Elections

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: 2022 U.S. Congressional (and Other) Elections

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Ahem.
Looks like Tapatalk's Twitter preview is broken.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks I didn't know that. I have largely stopped using Tapatalk for this site as I find the mobile browser version so much superior. But I know others prefer it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Does the fact that Frisch came with 0.2% suggest that with a little more national support for a Democratic challenger, Boebert could lose in 2024? Or will higher turnout in a presidential race benefit the incumbent?
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't know, but I do believe that if the effort that was put into defeating Marjorie Taylor Green (which was never going to happen) was put instead into defeating Boebert, she would have lost.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Heard on Colorado Public Radio this morning that Frisch has already filed to run in 2024. It sounds, based on what I head on CPR this morning, that Boebert's district is split about her style.

The GOP in general is very weak in CO right now. Trump stank things up something fierce and until he goes away there's no reversing the blue tsunami that hit Colorado in 2018.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I also understand that if the votes are within the recount limit, the recount has to happen regardless of him conceding? But I also thought there was an effort to "cure" ballot signatures,, and I expect people would be less motivated to follow through if their candidate already conceded.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

My understanding is that the curing of the ballots is complete and that was what cut Boebert's lead in half. But not enough.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:40 pm I don't know, but I do believe that if the effort that was put into defeating Marjorie Taylor Green (which was never going to happen) was put instead into defeating Boebert, she would have lost.
Yes, some races are hopeless and shouldn't suck up donations better spent elsewhere, but to be fair, I would have thought Boebert also had no chance of losing, and I was shocked that it was this close.
Voronwë the Faithful

More nonsensical answers from the potential next U.S. Senator from Georgia.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Hooo boy! He makes Trump sound like a good speaker!!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That is really just sad. Obviously the man has been tackled too many times and is being used as a political pawn. I cannot understand why people would find him a good representative.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:31 pm More nonsensical answers from the potential next U.S. Senator from Georgia.

That quote, though still ludicrous, dates to May.
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, I did not realize that!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Here in Ohio, candidates backed by Democrats just won a majority of the elected seats on the state school board.

So the state legislature, which is controlled by Republicans, is working on a bill to strip the school board of its powers of "developing education policy, establishing financial standards and implementing programs."

When Republicans lose, they change the rules. Mind you, they claim that they've been planning to make this change for years. But somehow they just never got around to it when their party held a majority of the elected seats.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That's just awful. There should be rules against stuff like that. I haven't kept up with what is happening in our state because I'm sure I'd be upset.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Per the right-wing site Breitbart, "Republicans will start every day in the new Congress with a prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance, GOP leader Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) said on Monday."

I've scrolled through a couple hundred replies to that posting, and saw only one that mentions that this already happens every day in the House right now under Nancy Pelosi's leadership. The overwhelming majority of those replies are from conservatives who think Republicans are taking a brave step for God and country, but some are from liberals who are upset that Republicans plan to make this "change" toward "theocracy."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I had no idea -- as U.S. Senator Bob Casey notes in a 2022 election recap video here -- that Taylor Swift was born in Pennsylvania.

Although contra Casey, Wikipedia says that while she lived in Wyomissing as a teenager, she was born in West Reading.

And I see that she comes of age, as hobbits would say, three weeks from today.
Voronwë the Faithful

Sorry.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Here's video of one of Herschel Walker's high school football coaches explaining why he's voting for Warnock. Are voters moved by such testimonials? Or will they see it as a stunt?