Why the hate on Russia?

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Why the hate on Russia?

Post by Inanna »

You’re forgetting China.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Not really, it just didn't seem relevant. China's also That Guy, but they are That Guy in an absolutely critical role. If China starts up a war of conquest they'll be a lot harder to just block off because they're so much more integral to the world economy than Russia.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

But with China not cutting off Russia, all these sanctions might impact Russia less as well.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Oh. Oops.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

River wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:15 am I was thinking today about the speed and intensity of the international pile-on on Russia. It's wild. The only pariah state I can think of that's more economically isolated is North Korea. Or perhaps Afghanistan. The rage turned on with the invasion of the Ukraine but it came on so hard and fast I can't help but think that part of Russia's problem is that they've spent the past decade-plus acting like that guy at work. The one who comes up to the line and occasionally ust barely crosses it and somehow keeps getting away with crap that would get anyone else written up. And now that they've been caught red-handed, first with the obviously bad faith peace negotiations and then with the war of conquest, they've got no allies and no favors to call in. No one's going to get sympathetic to their cause, no one's going to give them any leeway, no one's going to excuse them anymore. The downside, of course, is now there's no reason for the Russian government to keep the mask up anymore, so they're dosing their population with All The Propaganda and bringing their absolute worst selves to the world stage.
It seems Russia believes this (the invasion of Ukraine) was all engineered by the US and they had no choice in the matter. While the US certainly has done its share of meddling and may not have handled international policy well, I just can't wrap my head around this. Like an abusive partner blaming their abuse on the victim. And then there is the over-the-top lying propaganda I've been reading about inside Russia too.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Inanna wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:27 am You’re forgetting China.
My impression is the Chinese government is doing much less than it should to stop Russia but somewhat more than it was expected that Xi's regime would do.

I saw a fascinating look the other day at what a reporter found when given access to the social media group run by explicitly pro-Beijing Chinese expatriates in Australia. They were very pro-Russia, more than a little racist (mostly anti-Semitic), and they were falling hard for Russia propaganda, some of it apparently emanating from the Chinese government, which seems to be playing wait and see.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It seems Russia believes this (the invasion of Ukraine) was all engineered by the US and they had no choice in the matter.
Weeeellll. Officials certainly don't believe that, they know it's bullshit. As for the public, it's a bit more complicated. In an environment with dire consequences for non-compliance, most people will choose to mouth along with the script, whether or not they believe it. On the other hand, hearing the same thing over and over does tend to etch it into the brain.

But I would not assume that anyone being loyal to putin on TV is being genuine about.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

The Indian population here believe it too, but since the war started they do blame Putin too. What they believe is as follows: “this is all because of US’ actions and because all the US cares about it being able to sell more arms. Putin is doing it just to show he is Mr Strong Man and can flex his muscle. Poor Ukrainians, caught in the middle.”
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:bawling:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Today Dmitry Medvedev, Deputy Chairman of the Security Council of Russia and the person who played musical chairs with Putin's presidency back when putin maintained an illusion of a democratic election, said that Russia proposes to establish a Eurasian state from Lisbon to Vladivostok.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Many of us feared all along that the invasion of Ukraine was just the beginning! :rage:

I doubt NATO will allow it. I think if Putin tries this, there will be serious repercussions. WWIII here we come! :help:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Yes, and China and others will be backing Russia. All wars are horrid but it will be annihilation if this escalates.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Frelga wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:55 pm Today Dmitry Medvedev, Deputy Chairman of the Security Council of Russia and the person who played musical chairs with Putin's presidency back when putin maintained an illusion of a democratic election, said that Russia proposes to establish a Eurasian state from Lisbon to Vladivostok.
They are high on their own supply.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Didn't Medvedev make that claim in 2012?
Medvedev: New Eurasian Union To Be Set Up By 2015
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

At the time, it appeared that he meant the former Soviet republics in Europe and Asia. He made no reference to any NATO or EU countries. Also at the time, they have not yet invaded Ukraine.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The only way I see that happening is if they can provoke NATO/'The West' into going to war and then appeal to China to join Russia. But then Russia would play second fiddle to China and I don't see that working out well. It's a disaster no matter which way it goes.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine

Post by Frelga »

Before the news about Kramatorsk came out, the story of the day had been Maria Zakharova, Director of the Information and Press Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation, explaining the reason for the invasion. It was borscht. (She is also obviously drunk to her shoe inserts.)

A helpful Twitter user posted a translation. It probably won't help the WTF.
20220409_001944.jpg

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

:rofl: Glad to know it's not just the American right wingers that comes up with ridiculous statements!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Borscht huh?

Beets. It's always beets.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

River: :rofl: That's hilarious.

Sunny. I'm not so glad that the idiocy is so widespread. :( In fact I've been pondering the incredible efficacy of propaganda and it makes me despair.

I'm not on twitter so I can't see the translation. I found it here. Wow.