The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Re: The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim

Post by Smaug's voice »

I saw this news a while back and while I don't know a lot more about this, but those images look promising.
And I have always thought that animation is the most plausible way to adapt any and all of the First Age - or related smaller LotR stories. It's the ideal form imo in which myths and dreams are set free to play as animation is freed from gravity and the chains of the possible and filters the essence of the real physical world into a more experiential one.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2023/0 ... -rohirrim/
The Annecy Film Festival “first look” at The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim has just concluded and reactions are starting to trickle out. While we wait for fuller reports from our own Crebain, here’s a selection of thoughts from the internet.

(It does seem quite positive and I am personally very excited by that.)

@RyanGrobins

Just finished the work in progress talk for the new #LotR film #WaroftheRohirrim, and I have to say that the marriage between Lord of the Rings and #anime never looked so good! The world and characters looked very authentic. I can’t wait to see this in theaters next year.

@GuillameGas

Art-books, chara-design and extracts enriched this exclusive presentation of the future “The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim” in the company of his team, including Kenji Kamiyama (director) and Philippa Boyens (screenwriter of the LOTR saga ).

@RafaelMotamayor

LordOfTheRings War of the Rohirrim is already shooting to the top of my most anticipated movies of 2024. The (very short and unfinished) footage shown at #Annecy2023 looks fantastic. This is 100% in line with the original trilogy while also very much an anime. Can’t wait.

@CloneWeb

I’m drying my wet eyes, I’m cleaning up all these pages of notes and I’m telling you, but #WarOfTheRohirrim is in very good hands.

This is beautiful 2D from new drawings by John Howe and Alan Lee. It’s full Rohan and the story, based on three paragraphs, is led by a young woman, Hera, the daughter of Helm Hammerhead [sic. i think that should be “Hammerhand”.]

@mpmorales

Two scenes were shown (one of them, the opening, not finished) and the producers commented on the importance of trying to unite the world of Lord of the Rings movies with anime ones. And it really was an interesting combination. It reminded me a bit of Castlevania.

Castlevania! That’s interesting. I’ve not watched it (Netflix jail something something), but I understand it’s well-regarded. Two scenes is also interesting, and accords more or less with my expectations of what they’d reveal.

@RyanGrobins

For #WaroftheRohirrim, a lot of Unreal and motion capture is being used to help figure out the shots. But no rotoscope is being used, it is only for reference. Then it is all getting the traditional anime treatment for the final look. It looks amazing! #LotR #AnnecyFestival

It is only for reference: right now, I’m interpreting that as meaning for fight scenes pending further clarification. I do think they are trying to not scare/alienate people who’ve seen Bakshi’s rotoscoped LOTR treatment with that clarification.

@MatteoSapin

I saw the first images of the (Japanese) anime “The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim” To be honest, not particularly convinced for the moment, I was hoping for something else BUT we really find the style of PJ’s films and the sets seem successful.

The first fence-sitter! And more for the adherence to PJ-style than anything else? Interesting.

@RyanGrobins

There was a really early layout of what looked Ike [sic] the opening sequence: starting from a map fly through to a sequence with Hera on a horse with some great eagles. Then a talk scene in I assume Edoras with Hera talking about the shield Maidens. #LofR #WaroftheRohirrim

A little bit more detailed information about the scenes that were shown.

@RyanGrobins

Some work in progress footage, and then at the end a montage of completed shots. It really looks like a lot of care is being put into it.

Aaah, wish I’d been there to see!

NOTE: I’ll keep updating this as more reactions come in (hopefully with more details), so be sure to check back!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Very good interview with Philippa Boyens

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End