Dune

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: Dune

Post by Alatar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:27 pm On a more serious note, I have seen a number of discussions about the failure to include any MENA actors among the major cast members, and more importantly, the white-washing or outright elimination of much of the Arabic/Islamic influence on the book, which is very apparent and Herbert was very open about. That is disappointing.
I can't agree with that.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I can only go by what I have read, since I haven't seen the film yet, but the lack of MENA actors in major roles is certainly a fact, and the avoiding of using Arabic words like jihad appears to be a fact. What part of it do you disagree with Al. The fact that it is true, or whether it is important?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I can understand avoiding words like Jihad. It’s really a trigger in many people’s minds…
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I don't know what a MENA actor is.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I mean its certainly not "whitewashed". The film feels very culturally "ethnic", if you know what I mean. It doesn't feel Arabic, cause they're not Arabs, they're Fremen. But they're not white.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Maria wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:55 pm I don't know what a MENA actor is.
Middle-Eastern and Northern Africa. I don't know what the cast looks like on whole, but I don't recall there being any PoC actors in the previous movie so at least it's an improvement from before, even to great cries of "but that's not what they looked like in the book!"

I agree with Alatar in that in the books the Fremen weren't Arabic, the terminology Herbert used arguably wasn't used entirely correctly so removing it or changing it could be seen as correcting appropriations that rather than 'white washing'. Not exactly a black-and-white situation.

Not that the same people are involved in both arguments, of course, but I find it amusing verging on irritating that on one hand we have people upset (rightly or wrongly) with the lack of MENA actors in Dune, while simultaneously having people absolutely outraged at PoC characters in the Lord of the Rings series. :doh:

I appreciate the problem with this show in that if it was filmed in North Africa, there really should have had more local representation.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

Here is one of several articles that I have read on the subject.

Dune Has a Desert Problem
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I dunno, seems like it would make sense to acknowledge the Arabia part of the "Lawrence of Arabia with space cocaine" premise.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

But its not Arabia. Its Arrakis. If this were a movie set in Iraq I could see their point, but its not. This is getting truly ridiculous. What is the point of acting if you can only play yourself. Sheesh.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Or writing if you can only write your own perspective.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

However, that said, I remember being a bit upset that Ben Kingsley played Gandhi. But he was a *spectacular* Gandhi.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I have less of a problem with the ethnicity of the actor and more with the actors ability to portray the role. For example, Tom Cruise in "Far and Away" was an appalling performance by an American playing an Irishman. Jamie Dornan in "Wild Mountain THyme" was an appalling performance of an Irishman playing an Irishman. Liam Neeson in "Michael Collins" was a superb performance of an Irishman playing an Irishman. Daisy Edgar Jones in "Normal People" was a superb performance of an English woman playing an Irish Woman.

It's all about the art. Not the ethnicity. *

*I realise these are all white people playing white people. But Dune is an example of brown people playing brown people. What "type" of brown shouldn't matter as long as they can pull off the role.
Voronwë the Faithful

The ethnicity of the actors is only one issue, and not the major one, as the article that I posted makes clear.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I read it, but unfortunately it's based on the assumption that because Herbert borrowed terms and archetypes from Arab culture, that Arrakis is Arabia. Which is just fundamentally flawed reasoning. By that logic, all of LotR should be viewed as a hodgepodge of Norse and Scandinavian myth and we should be complaining that Thorin wasn't a Viking. Its absurd.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I agree with Al.
Voronwë the Faithful

Alatar wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:00 pm I read it, but unfortunately it's based on the assumption that because Herbert borrowed terms and archetypes from Arab culture, that Arrakis is Arabia. Which is just fundamentally flawed reasoning. By that logic, all of LotR should be viewed as a hodgepodge of Norse and Scandinavian myth and we should be complaining that Thorin wasn't a Viking. Its absurd.
I don't read it quite that way. Rather, I read it as saying that Herbert borrowed terms and archetypes from Arab culture precisely because he was addressing issues that stem out of the Middle-east and that by avoiding those terms and archetypes the adaptation fails to properly address those issues. The problem with that argument is that what Herbert did was so multi-layered that it would be virtually impossible for an adaptation to capture all of those layers, and so there is always going to be something to complain of. Which is why I am withholding judgment until I get to see the film. But I think the issues raised in this any many other pieces are worth thinking about.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The problem there is that Herbert never says that. The author is inferring.
Voronwë the Faithful

Actually that isn't true. As that article points out, he said “My Arab friends wonder why it’s called science fiction. Dune, they say, is religious commentary.” He has talked at length about the spice being a stand-in for oil found in the Middle-east, and how the desert land of Arrakis is based on the deserts of the Middle-east.
Voronwë the Faithful

This is a good summary of Arabic and Islamic themes in Dune.

Arabic and Islamic themes in Frank Herbert's "Dune"
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Looking for any kind of identity-related representation in an entertainment product is always a fraught proposition, and as Karjoo-Ravary notes, “Herbert wasn’t a Muslim, and this isn’t a Muslim story. It is Herbert’s story, reflecting his time.”
And I'll leave it there. This sort of PC bashing just annoys me and I have better things to do with my time than spend it on things that make me annoyed. :)