Flags of Rohan

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
TolkienJRR

Flags of Rohan

Post by TolkienJRR »

Reading through TT and noticed something I had never noticed before. The "Rohan" flag I associate with, that is the running white horse with a green background is not a "Rohan" flag but the symbol for the House of Eorl. Théoden's house. But what is the flag for the men of the Westfold? Erkenbrand it said had a red shield, but nothing of their flag. Does anyone have info on the various flags of the Rohirrim?
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
Túrin Turambar

Re: Flags of Rohan

Post by Túrin Turambar »

There weren't national flags (or any concept of a nation-state) in the Dark Ages, so I doubt Tolkien envisioned one. The flag of the House of Eorl would have been their 'national' symbol, as much has they had any.