The Rittenhouse and McMichael/Bryan trials

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Rittenhouse and McMichael/Bryan trials

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Kim Potter has been found guilty on both counts for the killing of Daunte Wright.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/kim-po ... index.html
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Both Travis and Gregory McMichael were sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole while William Bryan was sentenced to life with the possibility of parole. Before issuing the sentences, the judge remained silent for a minute, saying "That one minute represents a fraction of the time that Ahmaud Arbery was running in Satilla Shores."
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That is just an awful case. I'm glad the sentences were harsh, but really sad that it ever happened to begin with.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Both McMichaels and Bryan have been found guilty on all charges in their federal hate crimes trial, finding beyond reasonable doubt that Ahmaud Arbery was chased down and slaughtered because of his race.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

The problem with self-defense arguments is that they generally favor the living over the dead. If you threaten me, and I try to defend myself, and you then feel threatened and kill me to defend yourself, I can't be called to testify that I felt threatened by your actions and "stood my ground."

Kyle Rittenhouse was able to convince a jury that he acted in self-defense when he shot three people, killing two, in Kenosha, Wisconsin in August 2020, despite the fact that he introduced himself into the situation by traveling to Kenosha to act as unofficial security in case protesters vandalized Kenosha businesses and despite the fact that neither of the two men he killed had a gun (the third and final person he shot did have a gun) and despite the fact that the second man he killed -- who thus never had a chance to testify -- appears to have had reason to believe that Rittenhouse was himself an active shooter.

But Friday in Austin, Texas, a jury in another case found for the dead over the living. In July 2020, a man Daniel Perry, a duty sergeant in the U.S. Army, who was off duty and working as an Uber driver, encountered a crowd of Black Lives Matter protesters in the street. Initially Perry stopped and honked at them, but when they didn't clear the road, he ran a red light and drove into the crowd (not fast enough to injure anyone). Perry had previously texted a friend about the protests that he "might have have to kill a few people on my way to work" and had also suggested violence against protesters on social media. One of the protesters, Garrett Foster, legally armed with an AK-47, approached Perry's car. Perry initially claimed that Foster had pointed his gun at Perry, but other witnesses disputed that claim, and Perry had told police that he didn't want to give Foster a chance to aim his weapon, so he shot and killed Foster.

A jury found Perry guilty of murder. Immediately there were calls for Texas's governor, Greg Abbott, to pardon Perry. Governor Abbott, criticizing the prosecutor and jury, says he will do so as soon as he gets a recommendation from the pardon board.
Voronwë the Faithful

I've seen some calls to charge Perry with federal hate crime but I am not sure how viable that would be.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:44 pm
The problem with self-defense arguments is that they generally favor the living over the dead. If you threaten me, and I try to defend myself, and you then feel threatened and kill me to defend yourself, I can't be called to testify that I felt threatened by your actions and "stood my ground."

Kyle Rittenhouse was able to convince a jury that he acted in self-defense when he shot three people, killing two, in Kenosha, Wisconsin in August 2020, despite the fact that he introduced himself into the situation by traveling to Kenosha to act as unofficial security in case protesters vandalized Kenosha businesses and despite the fact that neither of the two men he killed had a gun (the third and final person he shot did have a gun) and despite the fact that the second man he killed -- who thus never had a chance to testify -- appears to have had reason to believe that Rittenhouse was himself an active shooter.

But Friday in Austin, Texas, a jury in another case found for the dead over the living. In July 2020, a man Daniel Perry, a sergeant in the U.S. Army, who was off duty and working as an Uber driver, encountered a crowd of Black Lives Matter protesters in the street. Initially Perry stopped and honked at them, but when they didn't clear the road, he ran a red light and drove into the crowd (not fast enough to injure anyone). Perry had previously texted a friend about the protests that he "might have have to kill a few people on my way to work" and had also suggested violence against protesters on social media. One of the protesters, Garrett Foster, legally armed with an AK-47, approached Perry's car. Perry initially claimed that Foster had pointed his gun at Perry, but other witnesses disputed that claim, and Perry had told police that he didn't want to give Foster a chance to aim his weapon, so he shot and killed Foster.

A jury found Perry guilty of murder. Immediately there were calls for Texas's governor, Greg Abbott, to pardon Perry. Governor Abbott, criticizing the prosecutor and jury, says he will do so as soon as he gets a recommendation from the pardon board.
The judge in this case has unsealed some material that wasn't used in the trial, presumably because it was deemed too incendiary: social media posts in which Daniel Perry wrote that "Black Lives Matter is racist to white people" and "It is official I am racist because I do not agree with people acting like monkeys."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Yikes. There was a lot more released today. Perry was clearly wishing for an opportunity to kill some people. Also there's this exchange he had with a friend named Justin Smith:

Smith: "Can you catch me a negro daddy"

Perry: "That is what I am hoping"
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The racist rants on the likes of FOX news help encourage this sort of thing.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:59 am Yikes. There was a lot more released today. Perry was clearly wishing for an opportunity to kill some people. Also there's this exchange he had with a friend named Justin Smith:

Smith: "Can you catch me a negro daddy"

Perry: "That is what I am hoping"
More from those messages:

Perry: "I will only shoot the ones in front and push the pedal to the metal."

Smith: "You got that much control over your blood lust? LOL. Old you would beat the fuck out them, then rape a few."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:21 am
N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:59 am Yikes. There was a lot more released today. Perry was clearly wishing for an opportunity to kill some people. Also there's this exchange he had with a friend named Justin Smith:
--Smith: "Can you catch me a negro daddy"
--Perry: "That is what I am hoping"
More from those messages:
--Perry: "I will only shoot the ones in front and push the pedal to the metal."
--Smith: "You got that much control over your blood lust? LOL. Old you would beat the fuck out them, then rape a few."
And now the Texas Observer has a report on Daniel Perry having "sent explicit texts to [an] apparent minor."