Russia's Invasion of Ukraine

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:( :hug:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

:grouphug:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Vice reports that "Elon Musk Spoke to Putin Before Tweeting Ukraine Peace Plan."

I'd just like to add that a so-called "Ukraine peace plan" was a big part of the clandestine interactions between Donald Trump's team and members of the Russian government that was investigated by Robert Mueller. And in both cases, the plan involved Ukraine permanently giving up territory seized by Russia.

What kind of dirt does the richest man in the world have on the second richest man in the world?

Edit: Musk says the story is false.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

But Musk won't say that he didn't speak with someone other than putin in the Russian government. And Medvedev straight up called Musk a Russian asset. Of course, everything Medvedev says is either a lie or drunken rambling that is also a lie.

I gotta say, I'm impressed with Dnipro fixing the missile crater overnight. I've seen bigger potholes go unfixed for many months, back when I lived there.

But dammit, there's nothing in that neighborhood other than apartment buildings.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

In video here, Vladimir Putin's puppet in the Russian-occupied Donetsk region of Ukraine, Pavel Gubarev, tells other Ukrainians that: "We aren't coming to kill you, but to convince you. But if you don't want to be convinced, we'll kill you. We'll kill as many as we have to: 1 million, 5 million, or exterminate all of you."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

While it doesn't relate directly to Russia/Putin/Ukraine, I highly recommend listening to Rachel Maddow's podcast 'Ultra'. Thus far there are only 2 episodes but one cannot help but see the striking similarities in the run-up to WWII and how Hitler/Nazi's had their tentacles in American society, religion, and politics and the disinformation/propaganda and how cozy Putin is with many with power or money in the US (and possibly other countries) and the situation (war) with Ukraine.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Frelga wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:28 pm But Musk won't say that he didn't speak with someone other than Putin in the Russian government. And Medvedev straight up called Musk a Russian asset. Of course, everything Medvedev says is either a lie or drunken rambling that is also a lie.
The story's source, Ian Bremmer, stands by his claim that Musk told him he spoke with Putin. In response, Musk issued another non-denial denial: "Nobody should trust Bremmer."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:55 pm
Frelga wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:28 pm But Musk won't say that he didn't speak with someone other than Putin in the Russian government. And Medvedev straight up called Musk a Russian asset. Of course, everything Medvedev says is either a lie or drunken rambling that is also a lie.
The story's source, Ian Bremmer, stands by his claim that Musk told him he spoke with Putin. In response, Musk issued another non-denial denial: "Nobody should trust Bremmer."
And Elon Musk is now complaining that he's being unjustly persecuted, comparing himself in that regard to (double murderer) O.J. Simpson.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

CNN: "Elon Musk’s SpaceX says it can no longer pay for critical satellite services in Ukraine, asks Pentagon to pick up the tab."

It was good of SpaceX to do this in the first place, and the Pentagon should absolutely pick up the tab if that's what it takes to keep the service going during Russia's invasion.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I appreciate Josh Marshall's take on the Starlink issue:
We can agree or disagree about U.S. policy in Ukraine. But for the moment the U.S. government has decided that it is in the U.S. interest to support Ukraine's war effort against Russia. That is a sovereign decision. Whether the Ukrainian military can have regular internet access can't be a matter of the whim of one rich guy in the U.S. and his U.S.-based company. It certainly can't be a chit he uses because he's mad that he's being investigated for securities fraud over his attempted purchase of Twitter. That is too much power. Starlink is clearly a powerful product. It is helping Ukraine's war effort a lot. Musk wants the free publicity without picking up the tab. He's not obligated to fund part of the Ukraine war effort himself if that's really happening. If he's footing a bill, he should be paid. But these basic questions of war and peace can't be left to one mercurial weirdo who's having tantrums on Twitter.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

NEB, that's a good take.

Meanwhile, Musk had another mood swing. Or possibly was reminded that most of the cost of Starlink is picked up by the US MOD and Ukraine. I couldn't get a definite answer for how much of the cost is picked up by SpaceX.
NYT wrote:Elon Musk abruptly reversed himself on Saturday by saying that his company would continue to fund the operation of the Starlink internet service in Ukraine, where it has become a digital lifeline for soldiers and civilians. "The hell with it," he said.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

He can certainly afford it!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I believe the Starlink service is worth/costs about $30 Million a month. I have no idea about how that cost is affected &/or offset by other deals.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Meanwhile in Russia, the mobilization continues to go horribly. Russian media reports men grabbed off the street, in bars, at work. Not just in the ethnic minority areas beyond the Ural Mountains, but in large cities. Even Moscow, which is normally the only place putin cares about. (He appears to hate St. Petersburg as much as every tyrant before him.)

It's reported that these mobiks are badly treated, trained, and equipped. Bodies are already coming back, even to Moscow. Some lasted less than two weeks from conscription. Ukraine is saying that others are surrendering in whole units.

Yesterday in Belgorod (Russian city on Ukrainian border, used by Russia as a staging ground for the invasion) someone opened fire on the training ground, killing and injuring more than a dozen "volunteers".

Official reports put blame on two men from Tajikistan whom may have been among the volunteers. This comes right behind the head of the Tajik government snapping at putin to treat Tajikistan with respect. Russian mil bloggers went on a predictable racist rant, and one suggested that officers should carry weapons with a chambered round to protect against further incidents.

Finally, Iran is said to offer balisitc missiles to Russia. This may have gotten Israel to finally get off the fence and publicly offer aid. Israel is said to provide Ukraine with intelligence. I suspect they do more than that, as I've never seen official Ukrainian sources lash out at Israel as they've done at other allies.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Here is something I wasn't aware of:

(Go to NPR.org for the full article. I can't link to it without getting a popup for an audio link, which I don't want.)
The European Union will train thousands of Ukrainian soldiers on its own soil starting as early as next month under a plan that is expected to be approved Monday by EU foreign ministers....

The EU may coordinate its training with the United Kingdom, which has already put an estimated 6,000 Ukrainian civilians through basic training on British soil.

U.K.-based training missions have become especially important for Kyiv, given how dangerous training large numbers of people inside Ukraine has become. In March, for example, a Russian missile attack on a military training base close to Ukraine's western border near Poland killed at least 35 people.
Hoorah for the U.K.!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Seems poignant. Though at least for now, the scale of death and destruction is not even on the same order of magnitude.
blitz.png
blitz.png (276.65 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
Twitter link
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yes, it's pretty wild. The senseless destruction and lost lives is devastating. And yet, Kiyiv, Dnipro, Odessa, are all largely standing.

Mom calls her friends, and they more or less go on with their lives, once the all-clear sounds.

One of the targets last Monday was Kiyiv's iconic Glass Bridge. It's still standing. Ukrainian Twitter pointed out that Ukraine (presumably it was them) took down a heavily reinforced and defended Kerch Bridge, while Russia couldn't even destroy a bridge made of literal glass.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

N.E. so I assume the first picture is one of the infamous 'buzz bombs' that Hitler used to attack London in 1944?

Frelga, the incompetence is mind-boggling! Was the Kerch Bridge the one with all the holes in it from the missiles?
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

What is the deal with American tech executives and venture capitalists taking up Vladimir Putin's cause?

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:00 pm What is the deal with American tech executives and venture capitalists taking up Vladimir Putin's cause?

Seems about right (source):

- - - - - - - - - -
Also, that was Dave not me who posted the picture of the V1 bomb falling on London.