Russia's Invasion of Ukraine

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Sunsilver

Re: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine

Post by Sunsilver »

Alatar, I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I know the political situation is Ukraine is much more complicated that Westerners think or understand, with a Nazi group being allowed to join the military in the fight against Russia. It's kind of an 'enemy of the enemy is my friend' situation.

Are you comparing the Russians to the U.S troops in Vietnam?

I know the Russian troop were told Ukrainians were going to greet them with open arm, as liberators that were saving them from the Nazis who had supposedly taken over. Of course, that was NOT the case, especially in the area around Kyiv!

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Alatar wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:07 pm This seems appropriate
I agree 1000%.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I think Sunny, Al's comparing US action in Vietnam to Russian action in Ukraine. It's not a perfect comparison. For one thing the Ukrainians aren't guerillas melting back into the landscape. It's some pretty conventional war happening over there. Uniforms, tanks, civilians caught in the crossfire, the whole nine yards. But that whole "We'll be greeted as liberators!" thing...yeah. We thought that in Vietnam, we thought that in Afghanistan, and we thought that in Iraq. if the Russians were as smart as they think they are, they'd've learned from their rival's mistakes. You'll be greeted as a liberator if you help clear out an invader, not if you're an invader yourself.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

River wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:59 pm I think Sunny, Al's comparing US action in Vietnam to Russian action in Ukraine. It's not a perfect comparison. For one thing the Ukrainians aren't guerillas melting back into the landscape. It's some pretty conventional war happening over there. Uniforms, tanks, civilians caught in the crossfire, the whole nine yards. But that whole "We'll be greeted as liberators!" thing...yeah. We thought that in Vietnam, we thought that in Afghanistan, and we thought that in Iraq. if the Russians were as smart as they think they are, they'd've learned from their rival's mistakes. You'll be greeted as a liberator if you help clear out an invader, not if you're an invader yourself.
I read (early on) that passive Russian intelligence in Ukraine told Putin whatever he wanted to hear and what he wanted to hear was that Ukrainians wanted to be part of Russia. Because it was an easy and lucrative job these sources fed Putin's fevered dreams of glory and didn't envision an invasion based on information they were passing along.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Sunsilver wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:29 pm Apparently, Ukrainian Forces have blown up a military airport in Crimea, over 200 km. inside Russian-held territory. Ukraine has not officially acknowledged it, of course, but it certainly looks like they were responsible. Many Russian military aircraft were destroyed.

"accidental detonation of ammunition stores" my a**! :roll:

https://www.businessinsider.com/base-bl ... 2zHNDq2dGA
Politico reports:
A senior administration official told NatSec Daily the U.S. supports strikes on Crimea if Kyiv deems them necessary.

"We don't select targets, of course, and everything we've provided is for self-defense purposes. Any target they choose to pursue on sovereign Ukrainian soil is by definition self defense," this person said.

After your host checked to see if the administration considered the peninsula sovereign Ukrainian territory, the official replied: "Crimea is Ukraine."
That last sentence has been U.S. policy for years and even has its own page on the U.S. State Department website.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Now, that is very interesting, N.E.!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I can't quite get a full list of Russian things that went splody today.

Reported events last night (mostly from @JimmySecUK feed)

• Explosions at munitions depot, Timonovo, Belgorod
• Fire/explosions at Stary Oskol Airfield, Belgorod
• Explosions in Nova Kakhovka, Kherson
• Air defence activity near Kerch strait, Crimea. Not clear what Russians are shooting at. The catchphrase on pro-Ukraine Twitter right now is What air defense doing?
• Explosions/UAV shot down near Belbek airport, Crimea - possibly unconfirmed
* Air defense doing something near Sevastopol, possibly explosions on the ground. Sevastopol is where the Black Sea Navy is. Possibly related to Belbek

It's not clear what caused the recent large explosions in Crimea.

Russians said it was caused by violation of cure safety rules. Ukraine said, "Oh, totally, you got to be careful with cigarettes." US said it wasn't their weapons, and indeed these were out of range of HIMARS. There was a mention of special forces or local guerillas. Some sort of drone seems most likely.

It's a great success for Ukraine, but it's really sad. Crimea is one of the few places on earth with more natural beauty than California, with bonus warm seas and history going back to Ancient Greece. It deserves better than Russian occupation.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I'm seeing reports that the Ukrainian Army is taking the offensive in Kherson and so far has been successful. Frelga, can you substantiate this?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It's a little early to call it a success, but there is definitely an offensive toward Kherson, which appears to have made breakthroughs in 3 areas. Channels used by Wagner, Russian mercenary group, confirm this.

Ukraine has taken out or damaged bridges across Dnipro, which will make it difficult for Russia to send supplies and reinforcement across the river.

Politico
Ukraine has ‘good chance’ to retake territory, U.S. assesses
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Oh, come on!

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

:nono:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:57 pm Oh, come on!

Isn't that how someone else supposedly died not too long ago? Another high ranking person/opponent/dissident? :suspicious:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Found this in my spam folder today. Wow - people will seek to profit off of ANYTHING! (I'm sure there would be some sort of fee involved if I were dumb enough to try to collect this money.) :x :puke:
Yahoo/Microsoft COVID -19 & RUSSIA / UKRAINE WAR Relief Fund 2022
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

YOU ARE TO BENEFIT FROM YAHOO/MICROSOFT COVID-19 & RUSSIA / UKRAINE
WAR RELIEF FUND

Yahoo/Microsoft and gmail Management Team wishes to inform you that
YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED TO BENEFIT FROM YAHOO/MICROSOFT COVID-19 &
RUSSIA
/ UKRAINE WAR RELIEF FUND of Five Hundred, Forty Thousand Dollars
($540,000,00.) for 2022 Yahoo/Microsoft Covid 19 & Russia / Ukraine
War Relief Fund which was organized by YAHOO Oath/MICROSOFT MANAGEMENT
TEAM, 3rd June 2022 to help people fight one of the world Worst
pandemic and Hardship in History since we become the best free email
provider worldwide.

YAHOO Oath/MICROSOFT Brand INC collected all the email addresses of
people that are active online, among over 2 billion-plus global users
that subscribed to Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail/outlook and few from other
email providers. Over a hundred e-mail addresses were selected on the
3rd June 2022. to benefit from this Yahoo/Microsoft Covid 19 & Russia
/ Ukraine War Relief Fund 2022 and your e-mail address has been
selected 2022 via Computer Random Selection System as one of the
lucky Beneficiaries for 2022 Yahoo/Microsoft Covid-19 & Russia /
Ukraine War Relief Fund.

All Beneficiaries shall be paid by our paying Bank through a desired
means of yours. Your Yahoo/Microsoft Covid-19 & Russia / Ukraine War
Relief Fund of Five Hundred, Forty Thousand Dollars ($540,000,00.)
must be claimed as soon as possible. Any prize not claimed within this
period shall be forfeited. Stated below are your Yahoo Covid 19 &
Russia / Ukraine War Relief Fund 2022 identification Ref: PLEASE
DONATE TO YOUR COMMUNITY.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Since the start of the offensive, Ukraine asked for a media blackout. It was not entirely granted, but for a while the fog of war was thick.

Most of the info I saw in recent days came from Russian Telegram screenshots. Sources like the Wagner group - Russian mercenaries - are less concerned with making putin happy and more with pressing the higher ups for reinforcements, total mobilization and a lick of common sense.

The repeated themes are - bridges across Dnipro are destroyed, supplies on pontoon bridges and ferries are slow, Ukrainian artillery is terrifyingly precise and seems to have enough ammo to hit individual targets.

In the last days, Ukrainian sources are back with videos of Ukrainian flags being raised in liberated villages. It's not quite clear where the lines are now. Both Kharkiv and Kherson have been mentioned. To add to the confusion, many small towns share names (there are several Semenivkas, for example).

Meanwhile, putin announced that Russia lost nothing since invading Ukraine.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I took Putin's statement as a sign Ukraine is successfully retaking its own territory. Russia loses nothing when Ukraine boots them out of places that belong to Ukraine. Everybody wins. ;) :P
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Um...guys...Ukraine's taken back a major rail hub and Russia's on the retreat. May they run them all the way to the coast and into the sea.

I've seen some interesting chatter in a r/worldnews thread I've been following (full of Ukraine fans so there is a bias) about how much territory has really been retaken, but I like to wait for more official announcements because fog of war.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

How can that be? Less than two weeks ago, Fox News host Tucker Carlson was insisting that:

"By any actual reality based measure, Vladimir Putin is not losing the war in Ukraine. He is winning the war in Ukraine."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It's a rout. I can't even describe what is happening with any kind of detail, because Ukraine is re-taking cities faster than I can post.
20220910_091653.jpg
20220910_091653.jpg (43.11 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
Russia, a terrorist state to the core, responded by attacking power plants in several major cities, turning off electricity for the civilian population because what's another war crime.

Power is already back on in Poltava, Sumy, and much of Kharkiv. I've been without power longer in California's rolling blackouts.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Is anyone else worried about what irrational things Putin might do in response to Ukraine's apparent gains?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

There will be more attacks on Ukrainian civilians. But the ongoing counteroffensive is curtailing the ability of RuZZians to carry them out, and enhancing Ukrainian ability to retaliate.

Putin is going to arrest a bunch of his commanding officers, and there will be an epidemic of window cancer, and repressions against anyone perceived as a dissident. In other words, I expect his focus to be on Russia.

He still has enough control over the internal narrative that he could end the invasion of Ukraine tomorrow, call it a victory, and get away with it. Which is why I have always dismissed the panicked calls not to provoke putin He doesn't care about anything that happens outside Moscow.
Last edited by Frelga on Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.