RIP, Priscilla Tolkien

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

RIP, Priscilla Tolkien

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Our friend Eldy posted this over at TORN:

In Memory of Priscilla Tolkien

With the passing of the last of Tolkien's offspring, it is the end of an era. I of course never had the opportunity to meet or interact with her, but from all reports Priscella was very gracious and generous with her time.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Anduril

Re: RIP, Priscella Tolkien

Post by Anduril »

Rest In Peace.

I don't know how much she was involved or immersed in "the work" compared to Christopher, but reading the scrapped LOTR epilogue, I feel like Sam's daughter Elanor was kind of a composite of the two of them, questioning Sam about the events and history, etc.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

I've had very little involvement in offline Tolkien fandom, but it was always neat knowing that members of the Tolkien family—primarily Christopher and Priscilla—had an ongoing relationship with fans/fan organizations, especially through the Tolkien Society in Priscilla's case. It felt quite remarkable to lonely 14-year-old me, when I realized that a number of the people I met in the Lore fora of the LOTR Fanatics Plaza were heavily involved with the Society, to imagine how few degrees of separation might lie between me and people who still seemed larger than life. I think we all have a lot to be grateful for.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Sad news!

I never spoke with her, but I saw deliver some opening remarks at the big Tolkien Society conference in Birmingham in 2005. She also took part in a separate Q&A at that event, and she was in the audience of some other presentations there.