MythLore

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

MythLore

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Janet Brennan Croft, the editor of MythLore, has announced the Table of Contents for the 2022 Spring/Summer issue, which she says should go to the printer and to the online platform next week.

Mythlore: A Journal of J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and Mythopoeic Literature

Table of Contents announcement

Issue 140 Volume 40, Number 2 Spring/Summer 2022

Editorial

Janet Brennan Croft . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3

“One Aims at the Officers First”: Reassessing the Relationship of

C.S. Lewis and T.S. Eliot

Ben Reinhard. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .5

Being Psyche: The Jungian Soul in Glome

Kelly Webber. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29

Who is Merlin? A Closer Look at the Character in Charles Williams’s

Taliessin Poetry

Joseph Thompson . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 39

The Wheel of Power in HBO’s Game of Thrones

Inbar Shaham . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 54

Sterner Stuff: Sansa Stark and the System of Gothic Fantasy

Joseph Rex Young . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 73

A Lost Tale, A Found Influence: Earendel and Tinúviel

Verlyn Flieger . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 91

Soup, Bones, and Shakespeare: Literary Authorship and Allusion in

Middle-earth

Owen Dugan and James Krasner . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 105

Tolkien and Bakhtin: Symphony of Time in The Lord of the Rings

Olesky (Alex) Ostaltsev. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 121

Seeing Double: Tolkien and the Indo-European Divine Twins

Kristine Larsen . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 139

Círdan the Shipwright: Tolkien’s Bodhisattva Who Brings Us to the Other Shore

Douglas Charles Kane . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 171

Notes and Letters. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 185

A Note on Ursula K. Le Guin’s Daoist Interests, Robert Steed

The Tao Masters Who Walk Away from Omelas, Sabina Schrynemakers

A Queer Atheist Feminist Autist Respnds to Donald Williams’s “Keystone or Cornerstone? A Rejoinder to Verlyn Flieger on the Alleged ‘Conflicting Sides’ of Tolkien’s Singular Self,” Robin A. Reid

Reviews . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 221

Abolishing Man in Other Worlds by Courtney Petrucci, Deeper Heaven: A Reader’s Guide by Christiana Hale, and A Compass for Deep Heaven, edited by Diana Pavlac Glyer and Julianne Johnson, Josiah Peterson

No Ordinary People: 21 Friendships of C.S. Lewis by Joel D. Heck, James Stockton

The Undiscovered C.S. Lewis, edited by Bruce R. Johnson, Melody Green

Correspondence: 1927-1987 by Joseph Campbell, Phillip Fitzsimmons

Pamela Colman Smith: Tarot Artist by Dawn C. Robinson and Pamela Colman Smith: Artist, Feminist, and Mystic by Elizabeth Foley O’Connor, Emily E. Auger

Dorothy L. Sayers, A Biography by Colin Duriez and Dorothy and Jack by Gina Dalfonzo, G. Connor Salter

Ethics and Form in Fantasy Literature by Lykke Guanio-Uluru, Phillip Fitzsimmons

Tolkien and the Sea: Proceedings, edited by Richard Cranshaw and Shaun Gunner, Kris Swank

Pagan Saints in Middle-earth by Claudio A. Testi, Toni Thibodeaux

Middle-earth, or There and Back Again by Łukasz Neubauer, Giovanni Costabile

A Sense of Tales Untold by Peter Grybauskas, Robert T. Tally Jr.

Tolkien and the Classical World, edited by Hamish Williams, Larry Swain

Musical Scores and the Eternal Present by Chiara Bertoglio, John Wm. Houghton

Leadership in Middle-earth by Michael J. Urick, Alana White
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: MythLore

Post by elengil »

:toast: That's outstanding!!!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Congrats!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

I look forward to reading your Círdan essay after hearing about it in the translation game thread!
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, you guys.

Eldy, I'd be happy to send you a copy by email if you would like, though it should be available online within the next week or so (I think).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:42 pm Soup, Bones, and Shakespeare: Literary Authorship and Allusion in Middle-earth
Owen Dugan and James Krasner . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 105
. . .

Círdan the Shipwright: Tolkien’s Bodhisattva Who Brings Us to the Other Shore
Douglas Charles Kane . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 171
Congratulations! Looking forward to reading your work!

After that, I'm most curious to see the article about Shakespeare and Tolkien. There are a couple possible allusions to Shakespeare's work in The Lord of the Rings that I've never seen anyone mention before, and I wonder if they'll turn up here.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:14 pmEldy, I'd be happy to send you a copy by email if you would like, though it should be available online within the next week or so (I think).
Thank you, I'd appreciate that! It'd give me some extra reading for my flight home. Can you see my email on the mod backend?
Voronwë the Faithful

Email sent. Let me know whether you received it.

Anyone else who wants the final copy (which is somewhat different that the version that folks saw already) just let me know, or wait for it to be posted on the MythLore site.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Yes, please!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Email received. Hopefully I'll get to this one quickly, since I have 7+ hours of Internet-less flight time to fill tomorrow.
Voronwë the Faithful

N.E. Brigand wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:39 pmAfter that, I'm most curious to see the article about Shakespeare and Tolkien. There are a couple possible allusions to Shakespeare's work in The Lord of the Rings that I've never seen anyone mention before, and I wonder if they'll turn up here.
I'm also very curious about that one! And of course I am interested in seeing where Verlyn has gone with her piece on Earendel, after being very fascinated by the Tolkien Society presentation that she made, as well as Kristine Larsen's piece on Tolkien and the Indo-European Divine Twins.
scirocco

Post by scirocco »

Hi Voronwë, hope you're well. Could I have a copy please - to the email in my profile. Thanks.
Voronwë the Faithful

With great pleasure! I look forward to hearing what you think. And it is wonderful to see you here!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Hi scirocco! So good to see you.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
scirocco

Post by scirocco »

Thanks everybody! Likewise. Now, head down reading Voronwë’s paper.
Voronwë the Faithful

The latest issue of MythLore is now available online at https://dc.swosu.edu/mythlore/

My paper can be downloaded at Círdan the Shipwright: Tolkien’s Bodhisattva Who Brings Us to the Other Shore. For those who read an earlier draft, there are some significant differences, most significantly in the last sentence of the paper, which is based on a suggestion made to me by Beth and which I really feel ties the whole thing together.

Eldy, I'm still interested in hearing your thoughts if you read it! (scirocco, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!)
RoseMorninStar

Círdan the Shipwright

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Congratulations on your publication in Mythlore Voronwë!

Círdan the Shipwright: Tolkien’s Bodhisattva Who Brings Us to the Other Shore.

I hope this is the proper place for this. I can't wait to read it!
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Re: Círdan the Shipwright

Thanks Rose. There is a thread about this in the Shibboleth forum where I posted the link.

https://thehalloffire.net/forum/viewtop ... 17#p398117

Please let me know what you think about the paper!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Círdan the Shipwright

Post by Inanna »

I read it again and liked it. I didn’t understand the last sentence, though.
Voronwë the Faithful

Which part do you not understand, the part about Círdan bringing us to the Other Shore by his example, or the part about the Other Shore being right here?