Sad, Sad Day for Star Trek Fans

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Sunsilver

Sad, Sad Day for Star Trek Fans

Post by Sunsilver »

I couldn't find a thread for ST:TOS, and the Band of Heaven thread is for musicians who have left us, so giving this its own thread. She certainly deserves it!

The only place I've seen this announcement so far is on her official page, but apparently Nichelle Nichols has left us: :bawl:
Crying real tears here...

She was a star in SO many ways!
Last night, my mother, Nichelle Nichols, succumbed to natural causes and passed away. Her light, however, like the ancient galaxies now being seen for the first time, will remain for us and future generations to enjoy, learn from, and draw inspiration.

Hers was a life well lived and as such a model for us all.

I, and the rest of our family, would appreciate your patience and forbearance as we grieve her loss until we can recover sufficiently to speak further. Her services will be for family members and the closest of her friends and we request that her and our privacy be respected.

Live Long and Prosper,

Kyle Johnson
https://uhura.com/
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Sunsilver

Re: Sad, Sad Day for Star Trek Fans

Post by Sunsilver »

A reminder of why she meant so much to so many people, especially women and girls of colour:
Attachments
Star Trek role model.jpg
Star Trek role model.jpg (33.93 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh no! That's a loss for more than just Trekkies.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's a sad loss.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

A sorrowful loss. She leaves a significant legacy.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

:(
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I'm not even a fan and I'm shook up that Uhura's dead. I watched the movies as a kid and was too young to fully grasp the big deal of her being a Black woman in that role. I just liked her because she was a woman, she was obviously doing something important, and she was just...cool.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

This summary of Nichelle's life and legacy will come as a surprise to many people. I'm a long time ST fan, and they mention things I didn't even know!

https://people.com/tv/nichelle-nichols- ... 9cb5f69f50
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

For Nichelle's 90th birthday - her work is continuing! Awesome to hear this!

“Science is not a boy’s game, it’s not a girl’s game. It’s everyone’s game. It’s about where we are and where we’re going. Space travel benefits us here on Earth. And we ain’t stopped yet. There’s more exploration to come.” – Nichelle Nichols

The iconic Nichelle Nichols, “Lt. Uhura” from the original Star Trek® and several of its films, went far beyond just playing a leading role in one of the world’s enduring science fiction series. She was a civil rights icon, encouraged to keep playing Uhura by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. himself. She was also a trailblazer in human spaceflight. During the 1970s, Nichols was commissioned by NASA – the U.S. space agency – to aid in recruiting a class of new astronauts who would fly aboard the Space Shuttle. This time around, NASA was committed to hiring a diverse group. No longer would qualified astronauts be only upper-middle-class white men. And no one was more devoted to this effort than Nichols, who ensured that NASA’s new direction wasn’t just lip service.

According to space historian Margaret Weitekamp, Nichols’ approach with NASA was aggressive: “So, I said, if I take this on, and this becomes [real], I’ll be your worst nightmare…I intend to speak before Congress for this, and to all the newspapers and all the television [stations]…I’m going after PhDs in physics, chemical engineering...And these people, I will not insult by trying to convince them of something that is not possible.”

Nichols’ public service campaign – conducted by her wearing a bright blue NASA flight suit – convinced thousands of potential candidates to apply to the astronaut program. For the first time, many qualified candidates saw someone whom they resembled. Her clarion call, “This is your NASA,” inspired candidates, including Sally Ride and Guy Bluford, to sign up. 1978’s astronaut group, the “Thirty-Five New Guys,” boasted six women, three African-Americans, and one Asian-American candidate. The 2019 documentary Woman in Motion beautifully captured the period in which Nichols challenged NASA with a simple question: “Where are my people?”

Nichols didn’t stop at NASA, however. She also made a film about the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum in 1978, meant to encourage young students to pursue careers in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics). Nichols was among the first significant public figures to champion STEM education, thus inspiring legions of fans throughout generations to enter careers in science and technology.

Nichols remained involved with NASA for the rest of her life and frequently spoke at agency events. In 2012, she was the keynote speaker at the agency’s Goddard Space Center in Maryland for African-American History Month. A press release from that time stated, “Nichols’s role as one of television’s first Black characters to be more than just a stereotype and one of the first women in a position of authority (she was fourth in command of the Enterprise) inspired thousands of applications from women and minorities. Among them: Ronald McNair, Frederick Gregory, Judith Resnik, first American woman in space Sally Ride and [then] NASA administrator Charlie Bolden.”

When Nichols died in late July at age 89, she was lauded as the trailblazer she was during her lifetime. However, her story is far from over. In early 2023, she will fly alongside the DNA of her son, Kyle Johnson, aboard Celestis Memorial Spaceflights’ Enterprise Flight. In addition, the Nichelle Nichols Foundation – announced today, on what would have been her 90th birthday – will continue to promote diversity in STEM fields.

https://www.celestis.com/blog/to-boldly ... EJxBHUhZIQ