The Passing of Queen Elizabeth II

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Aravar

Re: The Passing of Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Aravar »

Frelga wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:14 pm Can this be true? We expect Russia to do this, but the UK?

Or possibly a policeman who doesn't understand the law. It happens. Or perhaps even made up. That happens too.

There is not nine days of the Queen's holiday or funeral. Everything is going on pretty much as usual.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

From my previous post: Police demand details of barrister who held up blank piece of paper amid arrests of anti-monarchy protesters. I have no idea how reliable a source 'The Independent' is.

For ordinary people in the UK who are in their homes going about their ordinary lives I'm sure not much has changed. After all, how often do they book tickets to see palaces, underground crypts, and castles (none of which we have in the US). If they did have plans perhaps it wouldn't be problematic to go another day or even another year. But for someone who happens to be visiting the UK and had plans (on their 3 full days in Edinburgh) to see Edinburgh castle, Holyrood palace, etc.. etc.. much of that has been closed/greatly curtailed to the public. Then on to London where they had arrangements to see Buckingham palace, Westminster Abbey, etc.. much of that has been canceled on the days they will be there as well. It's truly uncanny how closely her itinerary follows where the Queen will be. The Tower of London will be closed on the 19th (as well as many other Royal Historic sites) but they may be able to go on the 18th.

The did get to see some bagpipe players in kilts on Carlton hill today. :D
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

The Queen's children stand vigil over her coffin at St. Giles.

I did a Google search to find out who the men with the longbows are. It turns out they are a voluntary unit, called The Royal Company of Archers and they serve as the Queen's Bodyguard for Scotland. The unit is 200 years old: https://www.countrylife.co.uk/out-and-a ... and-247274
Attachments
Queen's children stand vigil.jpg
Queen's children stand vigil.jpg (127.94 KiB) Viewed 3731 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

The Indy is usually reaosnably reliable. It looks very much like the policeman not knowing the law.

Here is the Act (I hope) [link]https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1986/64/contents[/link]
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Sunsilver wrote:The Queen's children stand vigil over her coffin at St. Giles.

I did a Google search to find out who the men with the longbows are. It turns out they are a voluntary unit, called The Royal Company of Archers and they serve as the Queen's Bodyguard for Scotland. The unit is 200 years old: https://www.countrylife.co.uk/out-and-a ... and-247274
I didn't think longbows were a major feature of warfare 200 years ago.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Frelga, the unit is made up of volunteers and is more ceremonial than anything else, though the royals do have a close relationship with them. Even back in Scott's day, I'm sure their shooting was limited to game and target butts, though the group takes their archery very seriously.

Its origins date back much further, to when archery practise was required by royal decree:
The origins of The Royal Company go back to the formation, by order of the Privy Council, of The King’s Company of Archers in 1676, to encourage the ‘noble and useful recreation of archery’. This formalised the ‘shooting’ being carried out around Edinburgh by ‘noblemen and gentlemen’ who had been competing for the Musselburgh Arrow, said to be the world’s oldest sporting trophy, since at least 1603, when the first winner’s medallion was struck.
Both King Charles and the late Queen took part in archery competitions when at Balmoral. A guy on the leatherworker's page is a longbow archer, and told me this: "The late Queen took part several times in an old traditional archery competition where you have to shoot at a small bird on top of a Church's spire weather vane. She always hit her mark." :shock:
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Sunsilver wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:28 am Frelga, the unit is made up of volunteers and is more ceremonial than anything else, though the royals do have a close relationship with them. Even back in Scott's day, I'm sure their shooting was limited to game and target butts, though the group takes their archery very seriously.
To shoot a longbow, you have to take your archery seriously...

There's a flap stirring stateside about an official document instructing world leaders attending the funeral to fly commercial and take a shuttle bus. Unlike some commentators, I actually can imagine the Bidens on a bus. Biden rode the train home to Delaware throughout his time in the Senate after all. I cannot imagine the Secret Service allowing it without taking over both the bus and entire route. I am also wondering if this document isn't part of a disinformation campaign to keep would-be terrorists confused. An event like this would be catnip to certain types.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

True, and I am sure security is aware of this.

River, I read the list of things you are not allowed to take into the hall at Westminister if you want to pay your respects to the Queen. It covers everything you wouldn't be allowed to take on an airplane, including water. You can have a clear plastic bottle, but you MUST empty it out before going into the hall!
Last edited by Sunsilver on Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

If you go to Court in England and Wales nowadays security will make you take a sip of any bottle you're carrying.

BTW the hall is at Westminster not Windsor. They're a fair distance apart! Its part of the Palace of Westminster/Houses of Parliament and the only bit that survived the fire in the 1830 which gave us the current building.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yeah, the bus thing is ridiculous. As several people pointed out online, putting a bunch of world leaders on one bus in the age of drones and guided munitions is a Very Bad Idea.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Aravar wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:33 pm If you go to Court in England and Wales nowadays security will make you take a sip of any bottle you're carrying.

BTW the hall is at Westminster not Windsor. They're a fair distance apart! Its part of the Palace of Westminster/Houses of Parliament and the only bit that survived the fire in the 1830 which gave us the current building.
Darn, that was a silly slip! I've been to London, so I certainly know the difference!

And I REALLY wish airlines would adopt that policy! It makes me so darn mad not being able to take a bottle of water into the boarding area while waiting for a plane, then having to pay an obscene price to buy one from a vending machine! :x
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Suny, you can take an empty bottle with you and fill it up at a drinking fountain.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Evidently it's a tradition in the UK to tell the bees of one's passing. NYT: When the Queen Died, Someone Had to Tell the Bees
A report that the royal beekeeper had informed Queen Elizabeth II’s bees of her death received some mockery, but it has been a tradition for centuries.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Rose, good luck finding one!! I tried filling one up in the washroom, but the basin was too shallow to easily get the bottle under the tap, and the water temperature was adjusted so that only warm water came out!

Trying to remember where I first read about that tradition of telling the bees...it's not just a British thing. Hmm...there was a man from Ontario who wrote a very well-received series of books about his life in the country, and he and his wife kept bees. Might have been him. https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/ ... he-owl-pen

Hope no one minds me posting a meme... :rofl: Given Elizabeth's experience as a mechanic and driver during WWII, I can see this happening!
Hidden text.
Move over, Philip.jpg
Move over, Philip.jpg (380.45 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I've not yet read Diana Galbadon's 'Go tell the Bees that I am Gone', but perhaps that tradition shines a light on the title.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Non-paywalled version of the story: https://boingboing.net/2022/09/13/palac ... death.html
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I love the painting featured in the article.
Heliona

Post by Heliona »

Rose, that's really awful luck that your daughter's itinerary follows the Queen so closely!

As far as I can tell, everything is open as normal up until Monday 19th when literally everything is shut apart from some stores along the funeral route (seriously, important medical appointments have been cancelled, doctors' surgeries will be shut, it's nonsense. It's like everyone has forgotten that life goes on, accidents still happen, people still get sick). In which case, I'd suggest trying to get organise some food the day before and just go for a wander away from the route.

Of course, London will be mobbed, which is part of the problem. Perhaps people at her hotel can help out with suggestions for alternatives? As Aravar has suggested, the Maritime Museum at Greenwich (and the Royal Observatory) is very good, and on the south side of the river, so away from all the funeral parade etc.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I don't keep up with the British Royal family so I've been taken aback by how old Charles looks. I realize he's getting up there in years (mid 70's) but I guess I haven't paid any attention/haven't seen him in awhile.