The all too early Season Two thread (possible spoilers)

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The all too early Season Two thread (possible spoilers)

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Well, we know from Charlie Vicker's comments that they are going to show more of Sauron's backstory. So either they are going to completely make stuff up, or they are going to at least be guided by what is in the Silmarillion.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

dormouse wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:06 amwhy would they make rings for men and dwarves - and how would Sauron know about it.
Hmm, I don't see this as a major hurdle. Book!Sauron most likely didn't know about the Three, which Celebrimbor made in secret, until after he put on the One and became aware of all the others Rings. Show!Sauron can learn of the Seven and the Nine in this manner, if he hasn't already. Likewise, the Seven and the Nine don't have to be made with Dwarves and Men in mind. They weren't in the book; their distribution to other races was Sauron's plan, not the Elven-smith's. It probably wasn't even Sauron's original plan, since by all indications the Ring project was intended to be a method of seducing and controlling the Elves. But after his war with the Elves, Sauron was left with sixteen Great Rings that he had zero chance of convincing any Eldarin leaders to accept, so he had to figure out something else to do with them.

Full disclaimer, though, I'm on Team No Other Rings Have Been Made. :P
Voronwë the Faithful

But are you on Team Sauron returns to Eregion?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

I'm on Team Ambivalent for that one. :halo:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

The all too early Season Two thread (possible spoilers)

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:But are you on Team Sauron returns to Eregion?
How would that happen?

ETA: ah, because Galadriel didn’t TELL anyone.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
dormouse

Post by dormouse »

I think the way is open for him to return because Galadriel didn't tell them who he was. So he could come back, being frightfully charming. Elrond and Galadriel wouldn't trust him but they may have left; Celebrimbor probably would.
As for Sauron knowing about the other rings, if it's already happened and we just haven't seen it, then he does know about them and the story we know can go on as written. He guided the making of the rings because he secretly wanted a way to control the Elves, by making a ring of his own. But if none of that happened as written then why would he even think of making a ring rather than a crown - or anything else he could put power into? That's what I meant. (It makes sense to me, anyway! :D )
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:11 am Well, we know from Charlie Vicker's comments that they are going to show more of Sauron's backstory. So either they are going to completely make stuff up, or they are going to at least be guided by what is in the Silmarillion.
As he specifically references familiar stories from the Silmarillion, I'm crossing fingers for the second.
I'm on team hopeful. :horse:
Or in darker moments, team anxious but hopeful..... ;)
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

dormouse wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:34 amBut if none of that happened as written then why would he even think of making a ring rather than a crown - or anything else he could put power into?
Really, if the only requirement is that the object be round, there's no telling what part of his body Sauron could make a Ring for. :twisted:
Voronwë the Faithful

dormouse wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:34 am I think the way is open for him to return because Galadriel didn't tell them who he was. So he could come back, being frightfully charming. Elrond and Galadriel wouldn't trust him but they may have left; Celebrimbor probably would.
The other possibility is that Galadriel does tell them and that Celebrimbor (and perhaps Gil-galad) refuses to believe her. That would be my preference.
dormouse

Post by dormouse »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:08 pm The other possibility is that Galadriel does tell them and that Celebrimbor (and perhaps Gil-galad) refuses to believe her. That would be my preference.
Yes, that's true. If he came back and she was there, I'm sure she would tell them. But I'd prefer to see Gil-galad hold out against Sauron. I'm still hoping for Gil-galad to become more like himself!
Eldy wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:01 pm Really, if the only requirement is that the object be round, there's no telling what part of his body Sauron could make a Ring for. :twisted:
Perhaps a nice bracelet? :halo:
Voronwë the Faithful

dormouse wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:23 pmI'd prefer to see Gil-galad hold out against Sauron. I'm still hoping for Gil-galad to become more like himself!
While I would too, it is hard to see him go from where he was to where he should be believably.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:07 amWhile I would too, it is hard to see him go from where he was to where he should be believably.
Yeah, that'll be a challenge for the show over the next few seasons, if they want Gil-galad's heroic death scene to hit hard. 'Cause right now, he's not a character I'd shed many tears over.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Some comments from Gennefer Hutchinson, the co-writer of Episode 8 (and sole credited writer of Episode 2):

Rings of Power writer defends the show's biggest change to Tolkien canon - Inverse

A point in favor of the Seven and the Nine not yet being forged, unless Ms. Hutchinson is playing the long con. :P
In Tolkien’s canon, he wrote that the elven rings were forged last. In Rings of Power, they’re forged before the humans and dwarves get theirs. What was the reason for this change?

So much of the season was about the elves and their journey, and Galadriel’s journey, and the fading [of Eregion]. So, we wanted to tie those rings into that story. It was about narrowing our focus down on them and having those rings cap off the season. Because we had to make rings. It felt like the climax of that arc, as opposed to trying to manage the timeline in a different way.
Also:
What was great for me about it is so much of the Stranger’s journey was him wondering, “Am I bad? Am I dangerous?” And then to be told, “Yes, you are,” but then have Nori bring him back to realizing who he truly was and who he was truly going to be. I think that was the benefit of that early “reveal.”
For me, [Season 1] was about, “Who am I? Who do I choose to be? What path do I choose to take?”
Pick one. :V
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... s-of-power
The Rings of Power Creators Reveal How Sauron Hid in Plain Sight
J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay explore all the hidden clues from Amazon’s Lord of the Rings series.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235273164/

The role of Adar has been recast—he's now played by Sam Hazeldine—and six other new cast members for Season 2 were also announced today. Embedded tweets with photos are in the spoiler box below.

Hidden text.

Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Joseph Mawle comments:

@realjosephmawle wrote:I loved my time exploring middle earth and diving into Tolkien’s mythology. I’m so honoured that the character was liked. He cared deeply about telling you his story. Though as an actor it remains my wish, my job description to explore new characters and worlds. Wishing all the

Best to cast and crew for S2, I’ll be cheering you on from the sidelines X
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Cue the predictable meltdown at the sight of non-white cast members.
Screenshot_20220927-094812.png
Screenshot_20220927-094812.png (524.77 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Eldy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:26 pm Joseph Mawle comments:

@realjosephmawle wrote:I loved my time exploring middle earth and diving into Tolkien’s mythology. I’m so honoured that the character was liked. He cared deeply about telling you his story. Though as an actor it remains my wish, my job description to explore new characters and worlds. Wishing all the

Best to cast and crew for S2, I’ll be cheering you on from the sidelines X
I've only seen the show via gif sets and I am still sad to see him go :(
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

As others have speculated, I think that there is a reasonable chance that Adar is going to get killed off and that it will not be an ongoing role.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

elengil wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:07 pmI've only seen the show via gif sets and I am still sad to see him go :(
Mawle's performance was definitely in the upper tier for me.
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:14 pmAs others have speculated, I think that there is a reasonable chance that Adar is going to get killed off and that it will not be an ongoing role.
I wouldn't be surprised if Adar dies in S2, though he was a big enough part of S1 that I don't expect him to get offed too quickly.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

The below is a (potential) future spoiler, not an S1 spoiler:
Hidden text.
That reddit thread V shared earlier that was written before E1 was released with info from someone claiming to be involved in the production wound up being too specifically correct about too many things to be lucky guesses, and it claimed that Adar would eventually be revealed to be Galadriel's brother. If that's true, we presumably still have a decent amount of time to spend with the character.

Edit: Reread and what it actually says is that Adar MAY BE Galadriel's brother.