Elon's Twitter

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Elon's Twitter

Post by Frelga »

Yesterday, Ukraine struck Sevastopol with, reportedly, UK Storm Shadow missiles, damaging a ship and a submarine, among other targets. It's an important step in securing the Black Sea, but the timing also makes it look like a message to Musk.
20230913_090757.jpg
20230913_090757.jpg (33.52 KiB) Viewed 4064 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

"Walter Isaacson reports in his book [a new biography] that Elon Musk told Bari Weiss last year 'that Twitter would indeed have to be careful about the words it used regarding China, because Tesla's business could be threatened. China's repression of the Uyghurs, he said, had two sides.'"
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Frelga wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:13 pm Yesterday, Ukraine struck Sevastopol with, reportedly, UK Storm Shadow missiles, damaging a ship and a submarine, among other targets. It's an important step in securing the Black Sea, but the timing also makes it look like a message to Musk.
Omg, I just realized. There was an old joke that went approximately "the brave submarine in the steppes of Ukraine was destroyed in a daring aerial battle."

It's exactly what happened in Sevastopol.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Anyone follow David Pakman? Now that Twitter is called "x", he suggests that "tweets" now be called "x-cretions".
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Jude wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:32 pm Anyone follow David Pakman? Now that Twitter is called "x", he suggests that "tweets" now be called "x-cretions".
Quite apt, don't you think? Especially due to Musk's propensity for using the 'poop' emoji.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

The Wall Street Journal reports that the Dept. of Justice has empaneled a grand jury and is investigating Elon Musk for self-dealing at Tesla as far back as 2017. And he's also under civil investigation by the SEC. (The latter was already known.)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yes, yes, Twitter is terrible these days.

But then where else can you find NYT opinion columnist David Brooks saying economy is bad because his burger cost him $78 at the Newark Airport, and the entire Twitter piling on to point out that his burger cost $18, actually, and the rest of his bill was scotch. And then the restaurant where he was dining joined in.
20230921_194603.jpg
20230921_194603.jpg (245.22 KiB) Viewed 3930 times

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:rofl: He deserves that. Cheers David! :toast:
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

The iOS X-Twitter app now makes annoying 80s arcade sounds when you refresh that can’t be turned off via the “play sounds” setting. That will probably change, but who would think this is a good idea in the first place?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

As Elon might say...
Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 10.06.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 10.06.56 AM.png (22.04 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Elon Musk said tonight that Covid isn't dangerous because "you have to be tested to know you have it."

(Edited to remove comment on Musk's intelligence. Thought better of it.)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I saw that post, and reacted similarly to you (even though I didn't see your original post I can fill in the blanks).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The latest utterly bizarre change to Twitter that Musk has caused is to remove all previews on news stories so that if someone posts a link to a story you can't actually tell that it is a link to a story.

Utterly bizarre and ridiculous.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:18 pm The latest utterly bizarre change to Twitter that Musk has caused is to remove all previews on news stories so that if someone posts a link to a story you can't actually tell that it is a link to a story.

Here's an example:

You have to click on the link to have any idea what the Reuters story to which Leamer linked is about ("US Commerce head backs legislation to address TikTok, threats").
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:43 pm
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:18 pm The latest utterly bizarre change to Twitter that Musk has caused is to remove all previews on news stories so that if someone posts a link to a story you can't actually tell that it is a link to a story.

Here's an example: [...]
Here's a funnier example:

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

As is so often the case with the new right, I'm torn between two nonexclusive explanations: "this is an effort to hobble competitors" and "this is an effort to force people to click the links so X-Twitter gets paid."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I have settled on "No, he's really just that dumb."

New version
20231005_083846.jpg
20231005_083846.jpg (91.55 KiB) Viewed 3735 times
Old version
Screenshot_20231005-083859.png
Screenshot_20231005-083859.png (502.05 KiB) Viewed 3735 times

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga :rofl:
Dave wrote:(...) and "this is an effort to force people to click the links so X-Twitter gets paid."
Dave, I'm not sure how it works, but I refuse to click on any X posts for this reason.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Bloomberg reports that the Securities and Exchange Commission is suing to compel Elon Musk to testify about stock purchases he made in advance of his purchase of Twitter.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
E! Online reported a couple days ago that Musk's ex-girlfriend, the alternative pop singer Grimes, is suing Musk for parental rights of their three children, X Æ A-12 (usually just called "X," age 3), Exa Dark Sideræl (nicknamed "Y"; age 20 months), and Techno Mechanicus (nickname "Tau," and just a couple months old, I think).
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Twitter's CEO, Linda Yaccarino, claimed this week that advertisers are returning to the platform after a period of uncertainty. But she may be exaggerating: per this Media Matters report which says that "Visa — which Yaccarino cited as an example of a 'returning' advertiser — has spent just $10 in the past 12 weeks, compared to roughly $77,500 in the 12 weeks before Musk bought Twitter."

Just in case you're wondering: yes, that says ten dollars.