Elon's Twitter

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Elon's Twitter

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm glad I never joined Twitter and I hope it dies. How many right-wing hate platforms do we need? Isn't that what Truth Social and 4Chan are for? There is another social media platform out there .. I can't think of the name of it at the moment.. Sky?? maybe?? that holds some promise (or so I've read) but it's currently by invite only/in the trial stages.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

You are not wrong, but there's also a wealth of absolutely amazing content not replicated in any one place. Art. Fluffy animals. Science. Latest news. Writers, historians, doctors, techies, crafters, all sharing their knowledge for free. The only other place with this much Ukraine content is Telegram, and it's channel based.

And when people leave they go to different places. Mastodon is confusing in concept, although I'm looking forward to Dave's updates. Spout and Bluesky and Hive are all too new, and limited. There is no one place to replace Twitter.

Also, I hate giving up ground to Nazis. Yes Musk gave them a platform, but they are also getting piled on by everyone else.

That said, Musk announced plans to allow calls between Twitter users, and a dating... service? From what I heard, after all the layoffs Twitter doesn't have the resources to implement such a sweeping upgrade, but that's the kind of thing that would drive me off the app.

PS look at how V's posts are 80% Twitter links. It's where the information and the commentary live.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Arab Spring.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Frelga wrote:Mastodon is confusing in concept, although I'm looking forward to Dave's updates.
Initial impression is that the look and feel are all but identical to Twitter—no serious learning curve there. The whole federation model thing sounds intimidating, but if you’re unconfused by the notion that there are about a zillion email servers out there that each have their own policies and spam filtering rules, yet can still exchange messages with each other without the end user really even needing to think about it, then you’re already most of the way there. The big problem, to no one’s surprise, is that there just aren’t that many familiar faces there (though there are more than zero). But I’ll stick with both for now and see how things go.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga, I understand what you are saying, and it is an unfortunate mess many did not see coming. As with many things, there is a fine line that is difficult to ascertain; what constitutes opposition/resistance/standing one's ground or conversely acceptance? With Elon owning twitter, there are few ways to oppose and resist and most have just accepted. When is one (for example) refusing to give ground to Nazi's/hate speech and when is one standing along side them? Does it further legitimize hate/conspiracies? I certainly don't know the answers. I cannot help but think how we have all come to accept the bizarre behavior of Trump and how his nastiness and criminality hardly bats an eye.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Frelga wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:24 pm You are not wrong, but there's also a wealth of absolutely amazing content not replicated in any one place. Art. Fluffy animals. Science. Latest news. Writers, historians, doctors, techies, crafters, all sharing their knowledge for free. The only other place with this much Ukraine content is Telegram, and it's channel based.
Unfortunately, some people are now finding that Twitter searches for "dog" or "cat" are now resulting in recommendations for "animal torture videos."
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Musk is stepping down as CEO.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/11/elon-mu ... oduct.html
Guess I'm not the only one this week who decided enough was enough.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Possibly it would have been better if he remains a CEO and hired someone qualified for "overseeing product, software & sysops"
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:51 am
Frelga wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:24 pm You are not wrong, but there's also a wealth of absolutely amazing content not replicated in any one place. Art. Fluffy animals. Science. Latest news. Writers, historians, doctors, techies, crafters, all sharing their knowledge for free. The only other place with this much Ukraine content is Telegram, and it's channel based.
Unfortunately, some people are now finding that Twitter searches for "dog" or "cat" are now resulting in recommendations for "animal torture videos."
A new article from NBC about the proliferation on Twitter of videos showing cats and dogs being tortured, which apparently are being provided by Twitter's auto-complete function when you type "cat" or "dog" into their search engine. NBC reports that they checked and saw this happen.
Yoel Roth, Twitter’s former head of trust and safety, told NBC News that he believes the company likely dismantled a series of safeguards meant to stop these kinds of autocomplete problems. ...

“Type-ahead search was really not easy to break. These are longstanding systems with multiple layers of redundancy,” said Roth. “If it just stops working, it almost defies probability.”
The story's author writes: "America's preteens know this site has a gore and snuff problem. Some adults don't."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Frelga wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:06 am
Musk also announced that Twitter will delete all accounts that have not made a post in two years.
Apparently the actual number is 30 days. Even I have gone that long between the posts.

There are going to be a lot of broken links in the news media. And on HOF.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

CNBC reports that the "U.S. Virgin Islands issued subpoena to Elon Musk in Jeffrey Epstein lawsuit." This is part of the territory's ongoing lawsuit against JPMorgan Chase for "allegedly enabling and benefiting from Epstein’s trafficking of young women to his private island in the Virgin Islands to be abused by him and others." The territory has asked a federal judge in New York to permit the subpoena to be filed with Musk's registered agent, because they haven't been able to get it to Musk directly. The subpoena was issued about three weeks ago "because of suspicion that Epstein 'may have referred or attempted to refer' Musk as a client to JPMorgan." To be fair to Musk: Epstein seems to have been very good at making connections with wealthy or famous individuals, and in most such cases he was probably just networking.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

One problem with a strictly chronological timeline (which is what Mastodon seems to provide) is that accounts that post nonstop drown out absolutely everything else. I've had to mute a couple for the simple reason that they were all I saw anymore. Wish there was an option to show only the most recent n posts per account with a "92 more from this poster..." link you could click to see the rest if interested. Or something. Nothing wrong with algorithmic timelines as long as they're transparent, customizable, and there to serve you rather than advertisers.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Elon Musk today tweeted that George Soros "wants to erode the very fabric of society" because he "hates humanity."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Rumors are flying that Elon may also step down as CEO of Tesla. I think a great many would breathe a sigh of relief if he did.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:56 pm Elon Musk today tweeted that George Soros "wants to erode the very fabric of society" because he "hates humanity."
Despite Texas police confirming that the Allen mall shooter had Nazi tattoos, Elon Musk said today in a CNBC interview that there's no evidence the killer was a white supremacist, that Bellingcat, the investigative team that discovered the murderer's white supremacist social media postings, "does psyops," and that "ascribing it [i.e., the mass murder] to white supremacy was bullshit."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:56 pm Elon Musk today tweeted that George Soros "wants to erode the very fabric of society" because he "hates humanity."
Hates humanity = his hedge fund dumped Tesla stock.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:16 am
N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:51 am
A new article from NBC about the proliferation on Twitter of videos showing cats and dogs being tortured, which apparently are being provided by Twitter's auto-complete function when you type "cat" or "dog" into their search engine. NBC reports that they checked and saw this happen.
Yoel Roth, Twitter’s former head of trust and safety, told NBC News that he believes the company likely dismantled a series of safeguards meant to stop these kinds of autocomplete problems. ... “Type-ahead search was really not easy to break. These are longstanding systems with multiple layers of redundancy,” said Roth. “If it just stops working, it almost defies probability.”
The story's author writes: "America's preteens know this site has a gore and snuff problem. Some adults don't."
A week later, Fox News checked Twitter and didn't get the same results. Ben Collins notes some flaws in Fox's methodology.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Seems Meta (nee Facebook) is planning to launch a new Twitter competitor.
The app, codenamed P92, will let users log in through their existing Instagram credentials & be based on a similar framework to the one that powers Mastodon.

The new app will be decentralized: it cannot be run at the whim of a single entity.
Thread here.

As much as I dislike Facebook, it's probably in the best position to compete with Twitter. Any newcomer faces a monstrous challenge on technical, legal, security, and other fronts. And Instagram already has the framework for posting and commenting, they just need to adapt to text posts.

Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

This is a new one:
subscribe.png
subscribe.png (13.8 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
I see the beginnings of the word Substack in there, which Musk had previously been censoring outright, if reports are to be believed.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Beau won't say 'Nazi flag' here, I'm not sure why, but this is a commentary on Elon's Twitter. Maybe some of you who are on Twitter can check this.