Elon's Twitter

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Re: Elon's Twitter

Post by Dave_LF »

The prescience of that film makes me think they had an ex-SpaceX employee on staff...
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

So, those of you in the know about social media, can you tell me if this is a big deal or a big fat nothingburger?

Meta launches Threads, a social media platform to rival Twitter
Meta launched its microblogging app Threads on Thursday, the latest among several platforms that have been designed to rival Twitter as users jump ship from the beleaguered social media site.

The company behind Instagram and Facebook pitched Threads as an app that will do for text and dialogue what Instagram did for photos and video.

"There should be a public conversations app with 1 billion+ people on it. Twitter has had the opportunity to do this but hasn't nailed it. Hopefully we will," Meta CEO Zuckerberg said on Threads, where he now has a million followers.

Millions of people signed up for the app within hours of its launch, according to the company. That rush is helped by the fact that users log into a Threads account using their Instagram username and password, lending the new platform a built-in user base. Users can also import their Instagram followers list to Threads.
Threads also does not have hashtags and keyword search functions, nor a direct messaging function, a following feed or desktop version. Some of these features will be added, but "it will take time," Instagram CEO Adam Mosseri wrote in a thread.

Twitter has been bleeding users and advertisers after a series of decisions by CEO Elon Musk, including reinstating banned accounts, laying off staff and, most recently, imposing a rate limit that restricts the number of posts non-premium users can read daily.
"[Meta is] getting crackdowns in the EU, lawsuits in the U.S. around ... privacy things and misinformation. So they're really looking for how do they expand and grow," Lachman said.

While the app is available to download in Canada, the company is still assessing how the federal Online News Act, or Bill C-18, will impact the ability of users in this country to view news stories on the platform, a spokesperson told CBC News.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I think Facebook is the only one with a realistic chance to produce a competitor to Twitter. A major social network just takes a lot to run.

But Threads currently sounds like a privacy nightmare. It hoovers up your private information from all your Facebook-linked profiles, including Instagram, even if you would prefer to keep them separate.

It also, like your quotes show, doesn't have a way to just see the posts from the people you follow, in the chronological order, and relies on the algorithm instead. That alone is enough to be a no from me.

And not having Europeans on it means, among other things, losing a lot of news sources for Ukraine.

In other news, the post limit has quietly gone away.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Out of the billionaire frying pan and into the billionaire fire.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Meta will have it all, eventually. What happens when they monopolize all free speech?
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

So it appears Zuck took Elon up on that cage match.. in a different form.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I am hearing that if you register on Threads with a display name (like Frelga), it will scrape up your legal name and put it up on display. This may be limited to the name used somewhere else on Meta, like Instagram or Facebook, but it's hard to tell.

It also appears to combine your followers from all sources, even if you'd prefer to keep them separate.

*sigh*

I just want Google+ back.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Eleanor Morton is spot on:

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Excellence in headline writing.

Elon Musk Predicts Level 4 Or 5 Full Self-Driving ‘Later This Year’ For the Tenth Year In A Row

Based on the fact that I just saw a video of a self-driving Tesla blowing through the stop sign and almost getting into a 3 car pileup (the driver hit the brakes), I am going to predict that it won't happen this year, either.

Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Spoiler about that Twitter thread:
Hidden text.
Social media is all Gollum. Except LinkedIn is the Mouth of Sauron, NextDoor is Ungoliant, and Quora is the Army of the Dead. And the thread writer's newsletter is Sméagol.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

So is HoF Sam?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

😍
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The last of the Ringbearers.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Sam is the best :love:
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Speaking of Meta, for all the (highly credible) talk about the shady tricks they pull to hoover up as much of your personal data as they can get, based on the suggested posts it shows me, Facebook believes I'm really into classic cars, car repair, country living, and farming. All the info they have on me, and they're still basing their decisions on a/s/l...

And glurge. Evidently the average person with my demographic info is a huge fan of glurge. I am not happy to learn this.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

In case you missed the rest of this thread, here's Ryan George to get you all caught up in five minutes:

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:rofl: :bawling:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yeah, that's 100% accurate while covering about 16% of the magnitude of the clusterduck. 🦆 🦆 🦆

Meanwhile, Musk, with the gravitas befitting a successful entrepreneur and a wealthy man of the world, called Zuckerberg a cuck and challenged him to a dick measuring contest. :nono: An account probably not belonging to Zuck but pretending to be him, but who knows because there is no verification anymore, responded with the reminder that unlike Musk, Zuck is still married and all his children speak to him.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Dave_LF wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:22 pm And glurge. Evidently the average person with my demographic info is a huge fan of glurge. I am not happy to learn this.
I'd never heard the term glurge before so I had to look it up. Interesting.