About The Forsaken Inn

A place for Tolkien inspired role playing and fan fiction. This is a new forum modeled roughly on the Prancing Pony forum of TORC, that will develop organically over time.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

About The Forsaken Inn

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

We have started this forum because some folks have expressed an interest in role playing and other Tolkien-inspired fan fiction. While inspired by the old Prancing Pony forum at TORC, it remains to be seen where this forum will go. It will be developed organically by those who have interest in this topic.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Bardhwyn

Re: About The Forsaken Inn

Post by Bardhwyn »

A bedraggled Daler wanders in...

I hear-tell of a new inn and a new forum. looks about Hmm... shows promise. Spacious, clean. Very nice.

Settles into a comfy chair Guess I will sit a spell and see what happens. :)
All who wander are not lost...
Voronwë the Faithful

It's like a blank white sheet of paper ... waiting to be filled!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

But which of my characters can crashtacklehug the Daler and survive?
:twisted:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Bardhwyn

Post by Bardhwyn »

Frelga wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:15 am But which of my characters can crashtacklehug the Daler and survive?
Dacil, easily. ;)
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Yeah! Now we're talking! As long as good etiquette is observed and people don't crash the rp stories with OOC chatter and outright plagerism, etc, like what happens on TTF, it will be a wonderous renaissance of the old Prancing Pony!

Is this also going to take the place of the old TORc Reading Room as well? Had quite a bit of stuff posted on 'Many Paths To Tread Tolkien fanfic site but they didn't renew the domain and it all went away.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

BARDY!! Welcome!!

Although I only took part in one RP on TORC, there were a number of others I followed, and was often delighted at the quality of the writing. I have actually downloaded and saved some of the best of it. I really hope something will take off here.

Strongly suggest those of you more familiar with those who would want to take part in something like this PM them and send an invite!
Let's see who shows up... Hmmm...Scribbles has posted here a couple of times already. Could be she would be interested! She was certainly very into RP on TORC!

There were a couple of RP's started on the new TORC board before Jon took it down. If you can remember what they were, and who was involved, that might be a good place to start.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Bardhwyn wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:07 am
Frelga wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:15 am But which of my characters can crashtacklehug the Daler and survive?
Dacil, easily. ;)
:er:
For how long?

Snowdog, what's TTF? Sounds scary! Pony people were the best. Also looking forward to your stories.

Sunny, which one were you in?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

It was Rally the Eldar, Frelga, which was in Alliances and Guilds rather than the RP forum.

When Innocent Evil accidentally wiped out the first Rally thread, Sandra sent me what Oreo had been able to rescue from The Wayback Machine. At the time, I'd just moved to northern Ontario, and didn't yet have a job, so I spent several weeks restoring the thread. That was my main involvement with Rally - I wrote a bit in Book 2 and 3 of Rally, but it petered out not long after Book 3 started.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Bardhwyn

Post by Bardhwyn »

Hello Sunsilver! Long time, no see. :D I remember 'Rally' - Alliances and Guilds was a fun place.

And TTF I think is The Tolkien Forum, though I've never lurked there.

Yeah, we should think about posting up some general RP rules and guidelines and such, shouldn't we?

As for accommodating writing other than RP/Fanfic, I don't see why we can't have all the Tolkien inspired writing genres arrive here - RPs, solo authored fanfiction as well as other musings. Just my two pence. :)

And Frelga, how long do you want? :blackeye:
Voronwë the Faithful

Bardhwyn wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:22 pmAs for accommodating writing other than RP/Fanfic, I don't see why we can't have all the Tolkien inspired writing genres arrive here - RPs, solo authored fanfiction as well as other musings. Just my two pence. :)
That was my feeling as well. But I am happy to work with folks to make it as accommodating as possible.
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Frelga wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:23 pmSnowdog, what's TTF? Sounds scary! Pony people were the best. Also looking forward to your stories.
Bardhwyn wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:22 pmAnd TTF I think is The Tolkien Forum, though I've never lurked there.
Indeed it is. I registered there in December 2001 when TORc crashed under the tidal wave of hits from the first day Fellowship of the Ring was out. I think I registered on Ringbearer (org), Barrow Downs, and Council of Elrond that same time. Have written roleplays on all them. Ringbearer folded about twelve years ago. Barrow Downs is still there but nobody has roleplayed there in ten years. Barrow Down was quite *ahm* 'anal' in their rules and regulations and control it made TORc seem like the wild west as far as moderation. The Tolkien Forums was ok at first but when a couple people who moderated the roleplay forum left or just quit showing up, things got quite chaotic after 2005 or so. When the new owner took the place over and renovated the forum software, he wanted me to moderate the forum. I gave it a go for a year and resigned because some people didn't respect the user-set rules for their threads, and some of the AU crossover stuff was ridiculous.
Bardhwyn wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:22 pmYeah, we should think about posting up some general RP rules and guidelines and such, shouldn't we?
Definitely a good idea!
Bardhwyn wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:22 pmAs for accommodating writing other than RP/Fanfic, I don't see why we can't have all the Tolkien inspired writing genres arrive here - RPs, solo authored fanfiction as well as other musings. Just my two pence. :)
I agree. Roleplaying, Fanfiction, and Character Development are the three big things. It's bene my experience that a character gets created for an RP, then it takes on a life of its own and details of their profile gets filled in, and then there are extensions of the character's story either by different roleplays, self-written fanfiction, a mixture of both, etc. Also, what begins as a roleplay may morph into a fanfiction. I know a few of us did that with the old Shadow Over Arnor roleplay on TORc back in 2000-01.

Anyway, I'm rambling. :sunny: :drool:
Last edited by Snowdog on Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm not a writer (more of a reader/lurker) but I thought I'd pop in & check the place out & say Hello! :wave:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I look forward to following along! Probably won't participate though, unless it turns into a full on RPG Campaign :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'm here and happy to participate in developing this.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Impish! *crashtacklehug*

Al, RPG campaign as in dnd? Or Pony-style, which was more of collaborative storytelling?

So I'm thinking. An inn is probably a good way to start. Pony inns were places for light RP, perfect for trying out new characters and their interactions, and occasionally assemble a party for a bigger story.

I don't know if anyone here is able to commit to run the inn, as in, write an innkeeper character and keep things going. Maybe we can have a sort of magical self-serving inn? Unless...?

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Frelga wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:15 pm Al, RPG campaign as in dnd? Or Pony-style, which was more of collaborative storytelling?
They're kinda the same thing, except one has a GM and Dice :)

And I meant the former (except there are plenty of Tolkien RPGs that aren't DnD)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Bardhwyn

Post by Bardhwyn »

* bangs a spoon against her glass *
I do hereby propose we arrive at some consensus on some RP guidelines for this brandy-new forum. Seeing as there is no reason to reinvent wheels, I've taken a quick trip into 'the past' and scraped the Guidelines that were (still are) up on the old TORC site.

I'll paste them here, swapping out Torc for HoF as well as other references ( I will miss some - so please, some one else read, too?!) and may I suggest if anyone wants to amend, add, edit, etc., we do so using using Reply, add/edit as you see fit, until we're happy? Let's give it ...oh a week or so and then we'll figure out who is best to create an 'official pinned thread' ? Sound reasonable?

Ok, here we go...

Guidelines for Role Playing in The Forsaken Inn

First of all, welcome to Hall of Fire . If you are reading this then you have shown an interest in Role Playing. This guide is meant to help you begin to Role Play, to tell you the rules and give you a few tips to make your Role Playing the best it can be.

1. What is Role Playing or RP?
Role Playing is a common thing at Hall of Fire; it even has its own forums. ;) Basically, role playing (or RPing) is a fun way to tell a story! You get to take on a persona different from your own, and create a history and a personality for your character, and then take him/her on an adventure, or to a party, or all sorts of other kinds of things. But the thing is, you very rarely know where the story will lead you or what will happen along the way. RPing is interacting with other posters, who are also part of the story. And most of all, Role Playing is fun!!

2. Does "The Forsaken Inn" have any actual rules?

Yes it does.

**Absoutely NO one liners are allowed. We are trying to keep the Role Playing up to certain standards, no matter what the storyline. One liners do not advance the story, enhance anyone's character and do not give anything back to the other players so that they can go forward.

<< To help avoid One Liners, check out How to Avoid the Dreaded One-Liner help thread. >> Do we replicate this here??

**RP Topics in this Forum are to be Tolkien based. This forum is for role-playing within the world of Tolkien and Middle-earth. ALL RP's should be thought out before posting. 'Spam' type RPs will be removed.

**Please do not use an RP thread, RP Word Aside or OOC thread to solicit players for other RP's, OR to advertise your RP. This includes placing "RPers wanted, Please Join, Hey *Person's Name*, More People Needed, etc. in the title. These soliciting type things are disruptive and tend to lengthen the Thread title to abnormal lengths. These types of things will be removed. Placing "Accepting New Posters" in the OOC Thread title is admissable.

**DO NOT "bump" a Regular RP story thread, instead, make a normal post. "Bump"ing adds nothing to the story and can become quite annoying. If someone wants to reply to the thread, they will find it themselves. If you need to know where your thread is at and when it is posted to, please subscribe to the thread. (This ability is at the very bottom of the page.) This function will alert you to each post made to your thread. Having the thread at the "top" of the Forum should not be important.

**Do not set up a "Poll" in an RP thread. Polls are not relevant in this forum.

Please help us by following these rules.

3. How do I create a character?
The most important thing of all - Be Original! If someone is already using the persona of a character from Tolkien or a name that you want is taken, I suggest just creating your own ... it is a much better experience. So how do you create a character? Start off by deciding what race your character is. Is he/she an Elf, Dwarf, Man, Woman, Ent, Orc, Wizard, or Sorceress? Once you have chosen that, you need a name! You want it to have the feel of a real Middle Earth name. Bob The Elf doesn't sound too good, does it? So, if you can't think of a Middle-Earth type name, take an existing one and edit it. Or go to the provided link below to generate a name.

Example: Finarfin - Drop the "arfin" - Add a different ending - Finlundin - Your character has a name!

IF all else fails and you can't come up with a good name, here is a site that is a name generator The Barrow Downs. Please consider limiting your name sizes down some. We have several users already that have huge names that stretch out the screens. And please limit use of extra characters like *, ~, # etc.

Please note: Per the newly amended Terms of Service: While alternate User ID's are permissable in The Forsaken Inn for Role Play character purposes, the original owner of the alternate ID must indicate their ownership of the alternate ID in the OOC thread. Any use of alternate ID's for purposeful deception will result in the immediate suspension of posting privileges for the owner ID and all the alternates.

4. What is an OOC?
OOC stands for "Out of Character" - It is basically the place where discussions about where the thread is heading, decisions about what to do, and other non-story discussions take place. So if you have something you want to say or suggest, post it in the OOC Thread. OOC threads are commonly called "A word Aside" as well. Remember this is where story planning takes place. Some chat is acceptable but making it a chat thread is not.

5. How do I join a RP?
So you have your character ready to go? Time to join a Role Play! The Role Playing is located in The Forsaken Inn Forum. This Forum is created for Role Playing and the Aside/OOC planning threads (as well as fan fiction and other Tolkien inspired writings). Please find an RP that looks interesting to you, and that you think you would have fun in. To do this, you may have to do a little bit of reading - open a thread and start at the first post. Once you find one you may want to join, don't just jump in!! First, check out that RP's aside/OOC thread. There might be restrictions on the RP, or special circumstances that are very important for you to know before posting. Getting the RP's starter's approval to join first is the polite thing to do and it is extremely appreciated. Also, be sure to read the entire thread before making your post.

6. I'm in a RP! What now?
Now it's up to you and your imagination, but there are some general guidelines you should follow:

*Treat others with respect. These are RP Stories, not Games. There is no winner, it's about cooperation and collaborative writing - not winning a competition. You are trying to get along with the other posters to create a story together, not beat them out.

*Please try to use proper punctuation and capitalization. Use a Word Document to type up your post and then run the spell check program. This will give the RP a professional feel.

*Pay attention to what other posters are saying and doing.

*NEVER kill another writer's character unless you have permission to do so.

*Keep up with the thread. It makes for a much more enjoyable time if everyone's posts keep with the current storyline(s).

*Try to keep your posts sensible, legible, organized, and clean. This is a family friendly site. There are children below 12 years of age posting. Please abide by the TOS (Terms of Service) at all times.

*If you are going to leave the thread, write yourself out. Don't make the other members carry your character. Use your best judgement when taking a break from your RP's. We all take a few days away at times but if you're gone for more than a couple of weeks, then you should, for the sake of politeness, consider writing your character out of the thread. You can always write yourself back in again later on.

*Do not do anything that affects another writers' character without their permission. This is just common courtesy.

*Try to avoid wacky posts. Nothing is worse than all of a sudden being thrown into battle with Morgoth and Balrogs in the 3rd Age. (It has happened before.)

*Writing dialogue or describing actions for another character is permissable, however, keep in mind that the other character's writer might not like this. It's a good idea to ask permission before touching on other writers' characters. Some people take it very seriously, while others won't mind at all. Just use your judgement.

*Sometimes, due to a variety of reasons, it is necessary to move another character along if their writer has not posted in a while. (This is called 'carrying a character'.) Hey, Real Life happens to us all! Just don't be too drastic in actions or dialogue.

*Creating dialogue is fine, but moving other writers' characters into a new situation can be a bit touchy, it's probably a good idea to consult them. Please try to contact the person first through either the OOC/Aside thread or by e-mailing them.

*Do not post large OOC comments in the story thread. This will clutter up the story. Aside/OOC threads are there for a reason.

*Most of all, have fun!!!

7. "What is an Inn?" << appropriate??>>
Inns are a type of Role Play where a group of characters are interracting in a specific and singular location, namely a Bar, Inn or Tavern. It is a totally "open" RP thread, no request to join is necessary and Inn threads traditionally do not require OOC threads. The recent building restriction on Inns has been lifted, however, there are some specific Guidelines for this type of RP thread:

Please note that these guidelines are being brought in for a trial period. We are trying to find a way to facilitate the open concept of Role Play that Inns represent, while still ensuring that this forum is not overrun by Inn-centered threads. We are hoping that the revised guidelines will help to keep a reasonable number of Inns open and running, while keeping too many multiple Inn threads from being started and abandoned and thus cluttering up The Forsaken Inn forum.

* To prevent an overabundance of Inns in this forum, only 3 Inns may be "active" at one time.
* All Inns are subject to the same guidelines that govern Role Play quality in this Forum.
* Any existing Inn that reaches 500 posts (or a few either way in order to nicely finish up a current scenario) will be locked and not automatically restarted. A request must be made to create a new thread to continue the Inn.
*"New" Inn threads must be requested first. A sticky thread is be provided at the top of this forum for this purpose - The Innkeepers Office.
* New Inns may be started whenever the number of "active" Inns falls below 3 (i.e: an Inn reaches 500 posts, or is locked due to inactivity).
* Any Inn that becomes inactive for 3 months will be locked.
* "Inactive" Inns that have been locked can be unlocked by request. However, they will only be unlocked if fewer than three other Inns are currently active.

8. I have a Problem with something that's going on. What do I do?
Feel free to contact a moderator! If something is happening that you don't like, you think should be changed, or you think is inappropriate, contacting a moderator VIA E-MAIL is the best course of action. Thread creators retain the right to decide what happens in their thread and can politely request changes if necessary however, they are not Moderators. You can contact any of the Moderators if you have an issue or problem or if you simply have questions on how to go about something here in The Forsaken Inn: <<mods email ????>>

Please remember that the Moderators are here to help you in any way they can. So relax and enjoy yourself, we've all been 'new' to the boards and Role Play at one time or another!
Bardhwyn

Post by Bardhwyn »

The original link on Old Torc is here:http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic. ... b9eed162df
Voronwë the Faithful

I thought about copying those guidelines when I first created the forum, but I was not sure that how closely it would apply here in this nascent effort. However, my role here is really just to host the new forum to support those that want to develop this forum in whatever form it develops.

We could continue this in this thread, or I could split it off into a new thread entitled something like "Guidelines for Role Playing in the Forsaken Inn" beginning with Bardhwyn's post. Your call!