Trump and others charged with conspiring to overturn 2020 election in Georgia

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: Trump and others charged with conspiring to overturn 2020 election in Georgia

Post by N.E. Brigand »

There's no decision yet on the motion to disqualify Fani Willis's office.

But Judge McAfee today dismissed three charges against Donald Trump and some other defendants because the charges weren't specific enough. Willis can try to indict with more specific charges. Some commentators are saying she won't need to, because the remaining charges still cover the conduct. (If the charges were dismissed like this a second time, she couldn't try again after that.) If she does, it will certainly delay the case, because defendants must be given sufficient time to prepare for trial.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Trump and others charged with conspiring to overturn 2020 election in Georgia

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I agree with Anthony Michael Kreis that she will refile the charges.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Meanwhile, Judge McAfee denied a request from Harrison Floyd to revise his bond agreement so that he could work on Trump's 2024 campaign (he was the head of "Blacks for Trump" in 2020).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

According to the Lawfare crew, Judge McAfee has indicated that he is definitely going to issue his decision on the motion to disqualify Fani Willis by tomorrow.
Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful

Judge McAfee:

"However, an odor of mendacity remains."

I couldn't agree more. His ruling is really quite Solomon-esque.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

One tried to overthrow the US government, one failed to fill out the HR forms for an office romance. Guess who gets punished? What a crock; Trump doesn't deserve to win, but his pusillanimous "opponents" certainly deserve to lose.

This is a critical moment in history--Putin and Trump are working around the clock to annihilate everything that makes your life better than that of a medieval peasant; meanwhile, the good guys are too busy arguing about angels and pinheads to resist them in any meaningful way.

Last edited by Dave_LF on Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm confused by your post, Dave. The case against Trump continues unchanged. Willis has not been disqualified, and as an officer of the court, she absolutely should be chastised for almost certainly lying under oath. A country in which that is not the case is the kind of country that Donald Trump would want to have, not you or I. Ultimately, the only thing that would stand in the way of Trump getting punished for his conduct is if the U.S. electorate is foolish enough to elect him again. And if we are, we will get what we deserve.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:41 pm Judge McAfee: "However, an odor of mendacity remains."

I couldn't agree more. His ruling is really quite Solomon-esque.
The Covid test I took today was negative, but I came down hard with something overnight: 101 F degree fever, aches, shakes, and weakness. Knowing that a decision was coming, I feverishly dreamed about this case, and the word "Solomonic" kept running through my head. How, I wondered, would Judge McAfee split this baby? Or so it seemed. But what we remember of dreams is often just the last minutes, so maybe I just heard the television shortly before waking up. I certainly didn't expect this outcome. Some people were saying last month that Wade should just resign, but almost no one was predicting that McAfee would order that.

Anyway, in response to the judgment, Nathan Wade submitted his letter of resignation and Fani Willis accepted it.

Also, Judge McAfee had his decision ready last week, but because he was receiving threats, he waited until today to allow security measures to be put in place.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Whew. Nathan Wade was scheduled to be interviewed tomorrow on Meet the Press but cancelled due to a "family emergency."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Earlier today, Judge McAfee ruled against Donald Trump's motion asking that the case against him be dismissed on First Amendment grounds.