Let's Talk Footie - Football World Championship 2006

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

I did not manage to watch another match in the last days... end of year exams :(. Private ..... crap (and this is a harmless word for it!). However yesterday, the whole inner city of Geneva was blocked by cheering Portuguese. Many people have flags on their balconies... and there are a lot more Portuguese than Swiss flags.

I'll post a pic of Jens with my orcs one of these days ;)
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Erunáme wrote:
It's rugby which has the rich middle-class reputation. :D
Really? Rugby's a sport I could actually get into. :P

In Ireland Rugby is both. Leinster Rugby is the sport of Public School Boys with the right School Tie.

Munster Rugby is Blood, Sweat and Tears. The working mans game.

"Alone it Stands!"
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
The Angel

Post by The Angel »

Similar disparities between Welsh and English rugby.

Which is one of the many reasons the Welsh are so infinitely superior.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I didn't think of rugby as an upper middle class sport. I have only really seen rugby in New Zealand and Australia as Foxsports used to air their league games on Sunday mornings. I found it quite relaxing for some reason.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

There's rugby league and rugby union - can't remember which is which but I know that one seems to rely on brute strength and aggression while the other seems to have rules. :P

I'm not a rugby fan. Not any kind of football fan, to be truthful - but soccer at least requires some demonstrably fancy footwork.

Aussie rules is an amazingly athletic game also; lots of aerial work with marking, lots of running, dodging (it's an incredibly fast and exciting game), and ball handling skills - dribbling, kicking, hand-passing. It's a real adrenaline rush.

=====

And Australia went down to Brazil as expected. However, Croatia and Japan drew so we're still in with a chance to get through! Admittedly not much of a chance - Croatia isn't going to be a picnic. But we are playing well, so you never know.

We shall see.

I can't believe I'm talking football :shock: Must be hormones or something.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I've seen some Aussie Rules footie here. We have a crossover event every year where Gaelic Football players and Aussie Rules players play a "Compromise Rules" game. It's pretty good, but I prefer straight Gaelic or straight Aussie rules.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Australia played great, I thought - such a pity they didn't score a goal or even managed a tie.
I do hope they'll stay in the game, they have a chance.
Go, Oz, go! :cheerleader: :D

No time to watch any games today, but there wasn't anything interesting anyway.

Got to work while Germany plays tomorrow. :neutral: I asked at the office whether something was possible (dunno, might have been everybody would gather to watch or something) - but no exceptions from work are to be made for football.
Ah, well, the BBC website (one of a handful of websites we can access for work purposes) has a minute by minute update... ;)

I'm still thinking about what to do for the game England-Sweden tomorrow. I'd like to watch it in company, and have even thought of going to the big screen at the Cathedral, but tonight some people said they'd not go near there tomorrow, as they are afraid of the fans (the game takes place in Cologne). :(
Well, wherever I watch it, it'll be hard to decide who to cheer for! (Most likely both teams. ;) )
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
notlistening

Post by notlistening »

th, are you having lots of fun with so many visitors to your town, country etc? the atmosphere must be so electric! I remember how wonderful the Sydney Olympics were. The place was just alive and everyone was so freindly (which for Sydney is unusual. we do tend to be a reserved lot at times. Melbourne is much friendlier. see Impy for evidence of that :D)

I didn't get up for the Oz/Brazil game but do hope we beat Croatia on friday. The boys have done well so far.

Alatar, I prefer league to union as I understand league rules and have been going to games since I was 2, or so my dad says. St George is my team, the mighty (sometimes) red and whites! Union just looks like a big free-for-all to me.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Australia made it too the next round! Woohoo! :cheerleader:

And Germany, too, winning their last game in the first round 3:0. We meet Sweden on Saturday.

nl - yes, people are partying big time here! :D

I'd meant to make a long post about just that since Tuesday, but bedtime is always quicker. ;) Well, it's the weekend now, so I hope I'll get round to it, and it won't seem too silly so much later. :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Meanwhile, the U.S. is history after a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Ghana today. Ghana surprisingly advances along with Italy, with no. 2 ranked Czech Republic also going home.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I think I need to change my nail polish. What are Ghana's jersey colours?
(yes I know it's a rough time for me but footie dulls the pain)
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Wilma :hug:

It's true that some people think that mourning and grief are 24/7 things; that one is, or should be sad every single moment. But that's not how life is. It's true, in the midst of grief, there are smiles and distractions and moments when we feel light and can laugh. It is normal, it is natural, it is human.

I'm a little disappointed, though, that you're not asking about the Australian colours (which are green and gold, by the way) ;)
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Wilma - :hug: - And the joy of the Ghanaians, though at times a bit too exuberant (they now fully expect to beat Brazil, too, it seems ;) ) is definitely heart-warming! :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5108170.stm

The colours are red, gold and green, btw. :)

(So, you can support Ghana and Australia at the same time! ;) )
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

*pounce*

{{sm00ch}} to Hobby... just 'cause I miss you. :)

*slinks out of sports thread*
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

*feels pounced on and smooched*

:shock:

:D

:love:

anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

:horse:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

At the end of the USA-Ghana match, the surly US coach did not shake hands with Ghana's coach.

I don't recall ever seeing that sort of behaviour in a World Cup match.
It's about time.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

I didn't see US - Ghana because I was still at work. :rage:
I didn't see Italy - Czech Republic for the same reason - I don't even know which one was on TV. :rage:

I didn't see Australia - Croatia because it wasn't shown on TV! :rage: :rage: :rage:

What they showed instead was Brazil - Japan - and I didn't watch that, because I wasn't interested. :P

St00pfid rule to have two games at the same time. If they need that to prevent manipulation of the result they should at least make an exception and give more than one station the right to broadcast a game. :rage:
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

Switzerland qualified for the second round. :cheerleader:
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Well, I've been meaning to write something up since Tuesday, it's not directly about the games, so it's Championship side notes

As you may or may not know, Tuesday the German team had their last game in the first round.
Stupidly, the game was scheduled for the early afternoon, when everybody was still at work - I'm currently teaching a full-time class, and on Monday the first students had asked me about finishing earlier. So I asked the secretary - and heard that no way could anyone be allowed to finish early.
Darn!
Tuesday another student comes and tells me he had it from the head of department it would be ok to go home.
So I ask again, and, lo and behold, the idea is that, no, of course we can't officially finish early. But we can't hinder anyone from leaving. And we can't blame them (i.e. write it down) either.
I pass on the happy news, hoping that everybody will just go at three-thirty. (I can only leave when there's really no one left requesting tuition, of course.)
But apparently people don't live far from the school, or try not to be too bold in leaving. Still, at four everybody has left apart from one Russian guy, who's never doing any English anyway, and now also is just finishing a job application. :rage: He keeps me another ten minutes, and when he's gone, I pack up, too.
As I get out of the classroom, I meet the janitor - darn, I think, I'd have rather left unnoticed - but it turns out that he was there to lock up! "You're still here?" he asks "I almost locked you in - didn't think of checking." :shock: Ooooookay.
On my way out I ponder what I would have done if I had got locked in. Probably tried to smash the (glass) door with a chair, or called the fire-department, whichever I'd have thought of first.

Well, by the time I'm on my way home it's no use to try to make it in time to see something of the game, so I decide to check on the "fan-fest" for a change. I travel past the main station, but always take the shorter way from the back entrance. The whole time, it had never occurred to me to go round the long way and check out the party on the place in front of the cathedral, 100 meters from the station.
I don't much mind missing the German game, but the game that really interests me is that night, too: England meets Sweden in the Cologne Stadium. So, just the time to have a look at the city! :D

On leaving the station, one guy in a small group of England fans walking close to me looks around and - uses an expression I can't type here. :D I'm just wondering if it was at the sight of the Cathedral that you see in all its splendour the instant you step out of the station, or at the host of England fans that occupy the place.
It looks as if we'd been invaded and the English had set up camp on the steps to the Cathedral. There's a mess as if there'd been a battle, and all over the steps you see people draped in flags, or flags without people in them attached wherever possible.

I need to go round the Cathedral to find the public viewing space. My first glimpse of it is a giant screen, filling a whole mobile stage, all cordoned off, though. What a pity I didn't think of going here before! (For a game where it might be less crowded.) On the place outside the viewing area, fans (mostly English - the poor Swedes are hopelessly outnumbered) are milling around, some are playing football right in front of Cologne's most expensive hotel.

I keep walking round, wondering if there'll be another way in, wondering also at the many German fans who are just hanging around rather than watching the game somewhere - probably not only the viewing area but also the pubs are all full.

Arrived on the other end, which is where the pubs are, the merry crowd is getting thick. I seem to have found the main entrance to the public viewing area, as there's a queue about 50 meters long extending into the road to the city hall - are these people hoping to get in for the Germany game or are they queueing for the later game at nine (it's now going on five)? :shock:

Well, there'll obviously be no room to watch the England-Sweden game anywhere around here, so I slowly make my way back.
All the fences of the cordon are decorated with St. George flags, usually with some cryptic name on it (places? football clubs?)
It's unmistakable that the local beer has found the official approbation of the English fans. :D
Groups of Swedes in blue and yellow and larger groups of English in white and red are singing, chatting, honking those silly horns and drinking. There's not the least tension or feeling of antagonism, just noisy mirth - everybody is just having a great time (ok, some might not remember the great time the next day, but still... ;) ) It's like the Carnival. :D

I get back home as the German game is just about ended. I'm determined to try to watch the later game in company, so I decide to go to the new beergarden the Italian takeaway at the end of the street has just opened a few weeks ago.
I get there early, in case it gets crowded, but it seems that people exhausted themselves cheering for Germany - there's only a group of giggly women, a family and two older couples there, plus it gets chilly after a while, so I go home in the break and watch the rest at home. Still, I had a very nice pizza and some wine - and a very nice evening. And as I like both teams equally, the result is most pleasing, too: England win the group, but the long "tradition" of England not winning against Sweden remains unbroken by the 2-2. :D

The news-report later says that there were an estimated 80,000 English fans in Cologne, of whom only 25,000 had a ticket to see the game at the stadium, and about 20,000 (IIRC) Swedes.
Brewery owners also compared it to the Carnival, saying at the moment every day was like a high-day in the Carnival, and one pub-owner said the English were wonderfully nice guests, and happy to drink just about anything liquid. ;) :D
A third public viewing area had been designated to the English fans - in order to prevent so many ticket-less visitors rioting with frustration, from what I understand - game comments there were in English, and the whole thing seems to have been a great success. piccie, close-up ;)
The only disturbance came from a group of German hooligans who tried to pick a fight with English fans, but were fortunately arrested by the police.

Piccies (samples from big collection found in an online newspaper):
the English invasion wasn't restricted to the Cathedral area, as the flags show
Partayyy!
1-1
Cathedral place in white-red-blue-yellow