The History of the Silmarils - a serialization

A forum for our members to collaborate on scripts adapted from Tolkien's works, patterned on the massive LOTR screenplay authored by ToshoftheWuffingas.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Ethelwynn

Post by Ethelwynn »

Voronwë, on film anything is possible.
Bite off more than you can chew. Then, chew it. Ask for seconds.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

We shall see...patience may be rewarded!

Anyway, to kick off the third episode we return to Doriath to discover how Thingol is taking his daughter's disappearance, and we also catch up with Ethelwynn's "Himring" storyline.

One of the difficulties with the original "Lay" is that it does not follow the story in chronological order as such. It jumps around all over the place to begin with, then settles down and pretty much covers Beren's Quest straight through to their arrival at Angband. Then follows a deviation in the middle telling of Fingolfin's challenge to Morgoth before continuing with the Quest up to the point of L&B's rescue. Then the Lay jumps right back in time to tell us what Thingol had been up since Lúthien departed Doriath!

We felt it made better sense to have our screenplay follow the relevant storylines in a closer chronological order.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Well, here it is, V…and probably a lot more than you were hoping for!!

When we were writing this script originally, I presented the dungeon scenes, and Finrod’s death, and was ready to move on with the Quest story. It was Ethelwynn who said, “hang on a minute, aren’t going to do a reunion scene with Amarië in Valinor?” and my immediate reaction was, well we can’t suddenly do a big scene with this abandoned lover, because we didn’t mention her back at the start of the story in Valinor…the audience won’t know what’s going on! (Actually I believe we had got a single mention of her by Finrod in the first season but that was it!) However, Ethelwynn was determined, so we went back and wrote retrospective scenes for Amarië and Finrod for Season 1. She came up with a first draft of the reincarnation/rehabilitation scenes in Mandos, and then kindly let me loose on them, expanding them above and beyond what she initially envisaged. (That’s not to say Ethelwynn’s ideas regarding in-laws and wedding planning wouldn’t have worked… ;) ) I have since added to the ending of the sequence, to bring in Voronwë’s idea of seeing father and son under the trees of Lórien. :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Elentári wrote:Well, here it is, V…and probably a lot more than you were hoping for!!
Yes, I'm afraid you are right.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Ethelwynn

Post by Ethelwynn »

Nice job on the new ending, Elen. It's different, and it shows how Finrod has matured since he last saw his father. I like the feeling that these characters, at least, will be all right for now. That's the way to end a story-line.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Glad you liked my last minute effort, Ethel...

Everyone else will be relieved to know there are only 3 epsodes left...
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

This fourth episiode kicks off with some more 4th Age schmaltz to frame the remainder of the storyline and lead us back into Beren & Lúthien's Tale.

The scene with C&C works very well cinematically, with the dramatic tension building as we cut back and forth between the oblivious lovers and the brothers closing in on them.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Can I just say I'm only flitting through and looking forward to reading properly later, but the use of "President" was jarring.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

It was meant to be an in-joke for the audience, Al...or, rather for sauronsfinger, for whom I wrote these vignettes because he so adored the family "snapshots!"

I know it's not a word that Aragorn should understand, and agree that it doesn't really work in terms of M-e language. I'll try and work something more in keeping or take it out altogether.

ETA: how about, if I change "precedent" to "precedence," and have Eldarion say "precipice?"

Not as funny, but the best I can come up with so far...
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

This instalment is significant in that it contains the last scene SF was able to write for us before the increasing demands of his new job coupled with his family commitments meant he could no longer spare any free time for the scriptwriting project. The scene in Angband is also significant in its content as SF went all out to shock with the level of horror. When he wrote his first draft and sent it to me to read, he said his intention was that I should hate it! I have to say that I did – and I told him he would have to rewrite it or the audience would be walking out in droves!! We agreed in the end to tone it down slightly, but that the full scene could perhaps be kept for his personal “Director’s Cut!” ;) Personally, I found it was not the violence/gore that upset me, but the emotional impact on my maternal instincts.

Seriously, SF was always insistent that the darkness and evil of Middle-earth should not be sanitized, or portrayed “comic-book style” but shown with a reality that would take the audience out of their comfort zone… I will however “spoiler mask” the most distressing descriptions of violence for those of a sensitive disposition.

After that, I continue with Beren & Lúthien, and Ethelwynn brings us further developments in her 'Union of Maedhros' storyline.
~Diana Cortes
Ethelwynn

Post by Ethelwynn »

First, I love "precipice" as a mispronunciation for our little guy. Hey, he's saying his family is going over a cliff. No doubt it feel that way in the household at times, especially with mother stuck in bed. Take mother out of the picture and the kids run wild and dad can't find anything. At least it's that way in my house, and my parents' home also.

As you may have guessed, Maedhros is my favorite Elf. I love his father and brothers also, but he's the best of the lot. There's so much depth to him that he's fun to play with. If only the script thread had lasted a bit longer, this could have gotten very interesting.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Episode 5 continues in much the same vein. I think by now you can tell who has written which scenes...

Ethelwynn wrote the first Mablung scene in the second instalment, then decided she liked the idea of the escaped Elves from Angband (newly released by B&L ) being found by Maedhros's people. I just kept my head down, plugging away at the Quest storyline... ;)
~Diana Cortes
Ethelwynn

Post by Ethelwynn »

The scene in the Halls with Lúthien always gets me in the guts. You wrote that one powerfully, Elen.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Why, thank you Ethelwynn :) - though I hope the 4th Age scene following on in this instalment does not detract too much...

I often feel that simply reading a scene on the page doesn't always do it justice, and that by visualizing it acted out, with scenery, props, stage directions and the speech delivered meaningfully, hopefully it gains something in terms of emotional intensity, impact and drama.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

And so ends Season 4 and the Tale of Beren & Lúthien…for now. Of course, they still have a small part to play in events to come, and I know Ethelwynn was keen to bring her Union of Maedhros storyline to completion.

The way we visualized it, Season 5 would cover the Battle of Unnumbered Tears (Nirnaeth Arnoediad), perhaps over a couple of episodes, then continue with the story of the Silmaril retrieved by B&L, the Sack of Doriath, and culminating with the Second Kinslaying when Elwing flees to the Havens of Sirion with the Silmaril.

So far we have not covered Húrin and Huor’s sojourn in Gondolin…that is an essential link that needs to be featured, and my suggestion would be to make that a kind of “flashback” prologue to Season 5, so that when Turgon and Huor meet on the field in the NA, the audience will be familiar with the characters.

Then, finally, Season 6 was to be the Tale of Tuor in Gondolin, its Fall, and Eärendil the Mariner, with the option to maybe feature the War of Wrath afterwards as a “special” to complete the History of the Silmarils.

Perhaps, if others are interested in having a go, eventually this project might yet be completed?

But in any case, thank you to all those who have been reading (and hopefully enjoying) our efforts... :)
~Diana Cortes
Ethelwynn

Post by Ethelwynn »

I posted the last part of Season 4 Episode 6, and I'm hoping some of you will give your opinions on it. It may need a little explanation from a canon point of view, since the material is not in any of the books. Yes, it's pretty much fanfic but I had my reasons for writing it and for the relationship it focuses on.

From a dramatic side, this scene sets up expectations in our fans that they will want to see fulfilled in the next season. It pulls emotional heartstrings, and would hopefully have led to buckets of tears when Nasse is killed during Episode 2 or 3 of the next season.

This relationship was also an attempt to make sense of Maedhros' behavior in the last part of the book. He is probably my favorite character, and for the first two thirds of the story he is stable, protective, and a more than capable leader of his family. He is not a hothead, not given to brutality, and unlike some of his brothers he has a streak of understanding. Then, for some reason, he jumps off the boards. He is responsible for (or at least does nothing to stop) two brutal episodes of Elf-on-Elf violence. He stays out of the fight that finally brings Morgoth down, then comes in and expects to take the remaining Silmarils off when he did nothing to earn them. He becomes in all ways a first-class jerk. Fans of a television series would not accept that much personality shift in a main character without some explanation, so this was my attempt to smooth the transition with major personal loss.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

What's that phrase....'never say never?'

Well, guess what? Ethelwynn's persistence paid off and she persuaded me to take a look and doing another season after all!

In Season 5 we begin by introducing the characters of Húrin and Huor, who will be the joining link for the disparate storylines. I felt their sojourn in Gondolin was best dealt with as a prologue to the season, and they will pop up again in various places as the season progresses.

After this prologue, we will continue the build up to the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, and follow the fortunes of the various participants as it takes place.
~Diana Cortes
Ethelwynn

Post by Ethelwynn »

Some of us just can't let anything lie unfinished, especially when there are great characters to play with.
Ethelwynn

Post by Ethelwynn »

Hello? Anybody reading these? Seriously, folks, if you like what we're posting, tell us. If you don't like it, tell us or you're likely to get more of the same. If you have suggestions, say something. We really do listen.