The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Túrin Turambar

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I really like the Cinemasins channel as well. He strikes a good balance between picking up actual flaws with the films and parodying the sort of nit-picking that fans and critics sometimes engage in.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I said it was amusing, I just didn't find it particularly clever. I find these thing to be much more funny if I'm going "OMG how did I not see that!". I watched Kong and enjoyed it, even though it was perfectly obvious that Naomi Watts was doing the instant glamour girl thing. Its like knowing that someone on top of a Skyscraper will get blown off in an instant, but also knowing its a cool romantic shot in a fantasy flick that knows exactly how cliche its being cause its deliberately going for a 30's style sensibility. That's not a clumsy goof, its a style choice. PJ knew exactly what kind of movie he was making, which is why it has a completely different tonal feel to LotR, where he was striving to feel "real". Kong was not held back by any of that. PJ was making his personal homage to the 1933 Kong. Criticising the movie for that is like shooting fish in a barrel. Its pretty easy, but not much fun.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I have the DVD but haven't watched it since I saw the film in the theater, so I don't have a leg to stand on—but I would agree with Alatar's comments about the style and tone (and how that necessarily conflicts with realism). I remember both being bored by the creature action, particularly the fall into the pit of squishy bugs—and strongly moved by the scenes on the skyscraper with Kong and Ann. And that after all is the heart of the story.

I think PJ has the weakness of wanting to throw every idea he possibly can into the story as a whole, and simultaneously the strength of understanding where the story's heart is—and letting it play, for the most part. In RotK, Mount Doom was just about perfect, and that was the part that had to be, for me.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

Irrespective of what you think of Peter Jackson’s “King Kong”, I would like to point out that “CinemaSins” is such a horrible, unfunny, mediocre piece of internet entertainment that it really only stands out for its ability to embody some of the laziest, most stultifying aspects of internet culture.

/Rant
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Beutlin wrote:I would like to point out that “CinemaSins” is such a horrible, unfunny, mediocre piece of internet entertainment that it really only stands out for its ability to embody some of the laziest, most stultifying aspects of internet culture.

I would like to point out that I disagree! :cheers:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

And just to complete the circle, I will point out that I disagree with your disagreement!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I disagree with that!
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Inanna »

I feel like I should be watching these movies! Who agrees or disagrees with me?

Has anyone else seen Gone Girl? It's the only "new" movie I have seen. ;)

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Inanna wrote: Has anyone else seen Gone Girl? It's the only "new" movie I have seen. ;)
I would've but I've instituted a "No Ben Affleck" policy in my life. :P
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I agree with everyone partially, and disagree to some extent. :P Except for people who are talking about movies I haven't seen in which case I have no opinion. That includes Gone Girl, sorry.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Agreed.

ETA: Sorry, disagreed.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:beard: :spin: :beard:
:spin: :beard: :spin:
:beard: :spin: :beard:
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

In another shocking display of ignorance can I point out that I also quite enjoyed Affleck in DareDevil!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I simultaneously agree and disagree with everything that has or hasn't been said in this alleged thread.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Alatar wrote:In another shocking display of ignorance can I point out that I also quite enjoyed Affleck in DareDevil!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Okay, there's difference of opinion, there's "art is subjective", and then there's tragic mental illness. I'm worried about you, buddy. Please, seek help soon before it's too late. :hug:

:pancake:
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Next thing you know, you'll be saying that you like Ben Affleck as Batman!

(Note: I personally have no opinion about Ben Affleck as Batman, but I have heard that for some people it is worse than the end of the world)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It's not worse than the end of the world, it's a sign of the end of the world.
-The Decemberists

Passdagas the Brown

Affleck's acting chops aside (though I think he plays an excellent Bostonian) he is pretty darned good director!

Al,

Your opinion regarding Affleck in Daredevil is wrong. Out of charity, I will not reference all the scientific laws to support that assessment. There are too many.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Affleck's acting chops aside (though I think he plays an excellent Bostonian) he is pretty darned good director!

I disagree!

(Seriously. I thought The Town and Argo were both pretty darn weak films.)
-The Decemberists

Passdagas the Brown

As someone who grew up in Boston, I disagree. The Town is extraordinarily authentic, and full of great acting. Same with Gone Baby Gone, though I don't love that film.

As a foreign policy aficionado, I also thought Argo was very authentic, and full of great acting.

But outside directing, and his roles as a Bostonian (playing himself, basically...) Affleck's one of the worst actors around!
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.