Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

More on the castle:
http://www.vrbo.com/50810
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

That's the link from my post, narya. :P

(But I forgot to underline it, so it wasn't very visible, I admit. I keep being confused about where I have to underline. It used to be TORC where links were invisible unless you underlined them, while here they were automatically underlined. Now it's exactly the other way round. :roll: )

Well, back to the topic - nature pics. ;)

Hollyhocks in our garden:

but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

grrr
Dig deeper.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

"grr"?

What's wrong, vison?

(If it's trouble posting pics, you could contact a friendly Shirriff. Just sayin'. ;) )
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Not trouble posting pics, trouble with the flaming editing on my end. Let's try this one, shall we?

These are all "volunteers" in my garden, unplanted and unplanned and very pretty. The foxgloves are nice, and the poppies, but the Mulleins are not quite in their glory yet.

Actually, they were planted, my cousin Sharon dug them up whilst turning the garden over, and she stuck them in along one fence.

Here are the Mulleins:
Dig deeper.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Beautiful, vison! :)
(Why are Mulleins spelled with a capital?)

The poppies look like 'real' poppies! :shock: :D (Papaver somniferum) Are they?
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Mullein: Verbascum thapsus L. [Figwort family (Scrophulariaceae)]

I like to capitalize plant names, myself. I regard them as "proper" names, rather as I do, for instance, Cinnamon or Tumeric. However, that's just me. :D

Mullein is an alien invader here, sadly enough. It is not native to North America but is becoming a nuisance, and more, in many areas. Here in Southwestern BC, our mild climate makes invasion easy for such vigorous and hardy plants as Mullein. I should be rooting them out and burning them and indeed, I do, beyond the confines of the garden fence.

I think the poppies are "real poppies", but I'm not a botanist. A friend gave me a bag of poppy seed heads about 10 years ago. I laid them down in rows and they seemingly all germinated and they were lovely. They went to seed and I expected masses of poppies the next year and didn't get a lot, only a few. As the years went by there were fewer and fewer and I sorta gave up thinking about them. They would volunteer in the potato row or the corn row or whatever. Then, this year! They are as thick as the hair on dog's back. They are all shades of red from a bright orangey-red through cherry red to a kind of smokey purple. Some are singles and some are doubles.

Gurdip who works for us says some of them are Opium poppies. Now, this is possible, since the original seed pods came from my friend's mother's garden and THAT garden had been her mother-in-law's and that takes us back 100 years, and people did grow Opium poppies. But I don't know. Gurdip showed me the "latex" oozing out of cuts he made in the poppy head, but whether that means anything or not, I don't know. They are pretty, that's all I know. Volunteer flowers are a gift, I think.
Dig deeper.
TIGG
ta'veren'

Post by TIGG »

Vision, they look like Opium Poppies to me, your garden is beautful, and fills me with wistfulness for spring and summer and Gardening.

This morning I woke up to WHITE, CRISP, 'everything!!!!'... :oops: including the inside of my car, :oops: I accidently left the drivers door window right down, parked outside in the driveway. ( I bought a new 2nd car yesterday, (Mazda Sports LTD in RED!!!) and it is sitting in the garage, until I get time to clear a space so they are both undercover).

Meanwhile I will enjoy looking at gardens on the internet and dream of warm weather to garden in again and enjoy planning the flowers of the future.
da TIGG is back and bouncin'
Face Book ID Kathy Roper ( New Zealand)
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

My rose garden:

Yeah, I call him "Old Man Willow" He's massive...it would take 2 people to get their arms around the trunk!

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Sunny, is that a Peace rose? :love: I grew up with one of those and always had a special place for that variety in my heart. It had climbed up into an acacia tree next to it, so the acacia tree "bloomed" twice a year - once with acacia (little yellow puff balls) and once with roses.

Vison, those do look like opium poppies. Here's a link:
http://www.maltawildplants.com/PAPV/Pap ... ferum.html
You might want to discretely check out the legal aspects of "growing your own", even if you weren't planning on harvesting it.

In the US, it's considered a "noxious weed" by the USDA, so I suppose it's OK to have them in the garden.
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PASO2

I've grown oriental poppies, which our family calls "the big hairy monsters" because they grew to be 3 feet wide by 3 feet high, with hairy and scraggly leaves, and took over the front walk way. I'll dig up a photo later.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

:clap: for narya! That is indeed a Peace rose! The other name for it is "Gloria Dei" which is what this particular specimen was labelled as when I purchased it. I didn't know they were one and the same until I googled on the name to find out its ancestry. The other pic shows my very favourite rose, Tournament of Roses. It can't decide if it's a HT or a floribunda. In spring it produces massess of flowers and in fall, single blossoms with that beautiful HT shape that you see in this picture!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Yes 'Beth honey, there are great beaches on south Maui.
Its the east side that is still eroding, and most of the Big Island.
A few pics to whet your whistle.

Wailea.

Just south of Lahaina looking makai (toward the ocean)..

Just south of Lahaina looking mauka (toward the mountain).

Black sand beach at Hana. I know damn well there were no stinking jellyfish there, no matter what the sign said. ;)
TIGG
ta'veren'

Post by TIGG »

oh.. an Island paradise. :love:

thinks next year an Island holiday might be the way to go over winter.
da TIGG is back and bouncin'
Face Book ID Kathy Roper ( New Zealand)
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

You won't be disappointed. Guaranteed.
I am torn between Maui and Hawaii. Both so gorgeous. Oahu ain't bad neither. :love:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I am torn between Maui and Hawaii. Both so gorgeous. Oahu ain't bad neither.
But Kauai is the best of them all!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I took a jillion tropical island pics in Barbados last week. You can see some of the best ones here

It's a lovely place. :love: We will go back someday, if we can.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

{{{sw000ns}}} for Holby's pics of Maui. :love:

Gosh, I do love that place..........so many wonderful, wonderful memories over so many years!
Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:
I am torn between Maui and Hawaii. Both so gorgeous. Oahu ain't bad neither.
But Kauai is the best of them all!
I've never been to the Big Island, but one day that will be remedied....oh yes! I think Oahu, Kauai and Maui ALL have their unique charms, although Oahu always seems "too full" to me (people, cars, resorts, malls......it's pretty jangly to this country bumpkin). Kauai is softer and gentler and greener than the others, but Maui is so geologically diverse.........and those beaches!!!! :horse:

Maria.........what great pics! The colour of the Caribbean is utterly amazing to me. It looks like you and your family had a wonderful time.

And now for something completely different. :D

Another National Geographic pic that wowed me recently, and reminded me that the world "after all is full of strange creatures beyond count".

The wings of a South African moth:

What a wonder!!

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

'Beth honey you do have to get yourself to the Big Island.
It is similar to Maui but bigger and if possible, more diverse.
A week really isn't enough time to spend there, but you can see a good deal of it. Not very many great beaches on the Big Island, excepting the west side where the resorts are. Too new, so the lava hasn't eroded enough yet.

eta:

Big Island sunset.

Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Excellent pictures, holby. :)
themary
Prettiest City I know!

Post by themary »

*sigh* Those were the days. Fantastic pictures Holby :)

The moth's wings kind of look like a fury tribal mask, very cool indeed.
...the embers never fade in your city by the lake

The place where you were born