The History of the Silmarils - a serialization

A forum for our members to collaborate on scripts adapted from Tolkien's works, patterned on the massive LOTR screenplay authored by ToshoftheWuffingas.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I missed your pre ious post for some reason. I certainly prefer your suggestwd compromise to the alternative.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Ethelwynn

Post by Ethelwynn »

I'm sorry that I am holding up this project. Right now, work and family have to have first call on every minute. If anyone wants to pick up and go on without me, I won't be offended. Thanks for patience, all.
Bite off more than you can chew. Then, chew it. Ask for seconds.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Ethelwynn has kindly forwarded some new material, despite a family loss over the past week. Our condolences, to you and your loved ones, Ethelwynn. :hug:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

At last some new material for you, from Ethelwynn, to see Tuor safely out of Lorgan's clutches...

I'll be taking over again from this point for a while, and fingers-crossed we shall get Tuor all the way to Vinyamar by the end of the episode. One more instalment should do it, I reckon. (It's probably become apparent by now that this season opener has turned into a feature length extended edition!)

Your namesake will be with us shortly, to open Episode 2, Voronwë - hope you can contain your excitement! ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Looking forward to it! I presume that he will make more of an appearance than he does in the published book.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

More? You mean you want us to make stuff up???? ;)

He will be in our story more or less as he is in the UT account - so yes, more than in the published Silmarillion, if that's what you mean...
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes that is what I meant.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Hmmm....V?

You know the "Gate of the Noldor" sequence where Tolkien named the two Elves Arminas and Gelmir, apparently 'forgetting' he had named a rather more significant Elf of Nargothrond Gelmir already?

Well, since we already featured said Gelmir in Seasons 4 and 5, I'm not really keen on using the same name again in case the audience (should it remember!) is confused. Do you have any thoughts on this? Should we keep it or change it? and if you vote change, should we go for a completely different name, or something fairly close, maybe one letter different, such as Geldir?
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

My initial reaction would be to say keep it, but the more I think about it, the more I sympathize with the concern about audience confusion. But I don't like changing it either, so I don't know what to suggest. :scratch:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

That's exactly my quandary! :help:
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I have faith in you to make the right decision! :)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Okay...after a long deliberation I offer my usual compromise solution!

Would it be acceptable to keep his given name of Gelmir, but add an invented patronymic?

e.g., Gelmir Ethirion...
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

A reasonable compromise, as far as I am concerned.

Not that my opinion is all that important.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

But your opinion is valued, all the same... :)

The annoying thing is, going by the UT dialogue, his name is only spoken aloud once, which is when he introduces himself and Arminas, so in a way, it's hardly worth worrying about! They could be simply referred to as Elf 1 and Elf 2 if not for that...

Oh, and since their errand is not referred to specifically, I thought it simpler just to refer to them as being of Círdan's people, rather than get into the whole refugees from Angrod's people when Dorthinion was over run, then having been sheltered by Círdan for many years! That's why I suggested a suitably Falathrim patronymic - but I may take another look at that.

ETA: Yep, they do say they are returning with an errand to the lands they fled, so I guess I'll make them Angrod's people...
Last edited by Elentári on Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Do you intend to have Arminas and Gelmir travel to Nargothrond and scoff at Túrin?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

No - that's outside the remit we set ourselves! Our Quenta Silmarillion is tightly focused around the Silmaril that was retrieved by Beren and Lúthien.

Children of Húrin would be a better served as a project on its own, IMO...

We already glossed over the Fall of Nargothrond at the beginning of Season5, when we had Húrin collect the Nauglamír from there and bring it to Thingol. Season 5 was all about the fall of Doriath...now we've jumped back in time for Season 6, and will follow the parallel storyline of the Fall of Gondolin to the point where Elwing and Eärendil's threads meet, culminating in the Third Kinslaying at Sirion.

I should warn you now that the plan is to get through the Fall of Gondolin up to Eärendil arriving in Valinor in just 6 episodes, so it will be somewhat streamlined but hopefully that will spare us too much invention!
I do have is all mapped out but as can be seen from the first episode, Ethelwynn always gives me more than I asked for! ;)
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Eureka!

Gelmir Tadui

[Gelmir the Second] :D
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Well, since my intentionally humorous suggestion got no response I've decided to just keep our friend as plain old Gelmir for now. Maybe if Arminas mumbles the name no one will catch it anyway? ;)

At least we've finally got to the end of Episode #1! I had to go back and add in Ethelwynn's hounds to what I already had in place, but I'll try to ensure they'll remain firmly in the background if I can't persuade her to lose them somehow... :blackeye:
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't mind the hounds. At least so far.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yeah, they're okay...I just didn't want too many echoes of Beren and Huan, 'tis all. I thought it might have been neat if one of the old hounds turned up out of the blue while Voronwë & Tuor are on the verge of freezing to death, and saves them, but it appears we're keeping them for now!

Btw, it probably goes without saying, but in case anyone's wondering, we cut the whole 4 years as an outlaw business since nothing really happens, and we needed to drive the plot forward...
~Diana Cortes