Health Care Reform

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

anthriel wrote:

ON topic, I have to say, as a card-carrying Republican: y'all Repubs need to cave, already. Give it up. You are accomplishing nothing worth having, and you are putting people through really tough times for NOTHING.

I really don't get the point of this, at all. :help:
Agreed.

I don't think the Democrats are entirely without fault on this, but I just want them all to grow up and stop acting like morons.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Jewel wrote: I do think Eru was being a bit facetious when she referred to it as "the naughty person's forum" and I thought it was kind of funny, myself.
Sadly, I wasn't really...
Cerin wrote:But I think people tend to underestimate the depth and breadth of the cognitive divide that exists and is ever-widening in this country. I believe these Teapublicans who have orchestrated the shut down really don't see it as an illegitimate tactic. They really believe they are the true defenders of our democracy and are protecting the American people from terrible evils, and that any sort of tactic is acceptable to achieve those goals. They are truly jihadists, in the sense of conviction and religious fervor (their religion being this peculiar set of beliefs that motivates them).
I completely agree. Though I think actual religion is a huge factor (and racism.) I'm always reminded of this Barry Goldwater quote when thinking about this:
Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.
(edit: and I post that not to rant against Christians, but rather the injection of religion into politics. Just wanted to be clear on that.)
Anthriel wrote:Wow. I had no idea.
Rachel Maddow did a piece showing how a shutdown has been in the works for a few years now. It's very worth watching (and I hope you won't immediately discredit her as she's a liberal. She's very good at backing her positions with facts and good research.)

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/rachel-maddow/53151808
I really don't get the point of this, at all.
From Indiana Rep. Marlin Stutzman:
We’re not going to be disrespected. We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.
http://washingtonexaminer.com/gop-stand ... le/2536750
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I always had a soft spot for Barry Goldwater. He was the one who famously growled, when asked about gays in the military, "You don't have to BE straight to be in the army....you just have to SHOOT straight."

The GOP could sure use some common-sense like that right now, boy howdy.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Barry Goldwater was kind of a nightmare in a lot of other ways, at least for liberals back in that day. My parents were among them. My dad, a Democrat to the bone, thought the world of Eisenhower. Goldwater . . . no. No no no.

(I don't remember the '64 election; I was in first grade.)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Anthriel wrote:I really don't get the point of this, at all.
I don't think there is a unified point. There's an instigating group with certain beliefs about the Constitution and the federal government, and there's Boehner, who had to placate the radicals in order to retain his leadership position (he was humiliatingly replaced as speaker once before and doesn't want to repeat the experience), and then there are those who thought (and may still think) the Pres. and the Dems would cave as they've always done in the past.

Erunáme wrote: I completely agree. Though I think actual religion is a huge factor (and racism.) I'm always reminded of this Barry Goldwater quote when thinking about this:
Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.
That quote is right on the money. I was just reading today that Ted Cruz's father is the pastor of a dominionist church in Florida. The dominionists believe Christians (of a certain ilk) are meant to rule according to biblical principles; I'm not sure how they reconcile this with the Constitution, but they have no trouble with the apparent contradiction.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

oops, dp
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Primula Baggins wrote:Barry Goldwater was kind of a nightmare in a lot of other ways, at least for liberals back in that day.
Yeah, back in the day. But we sure do miss him now. :D

I do remember the 1964 election (I was in 5th grade) and even though my father was a card-carrying member of the Liberal party, I remember he had a kind of grudging respect for Goldwater...even back in the day.

Wonder what he'd think NOW. Sheesh...
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The funny thing about the 1964 election is that the American electorate essentially reversed its decision sixteen years later. Reagan won on a platform essentially similar to the one that Goldwater lost on. The difference, of course, is that Reagan was sunny and optimistic and looked upbeat, while Goldwater, with his gaunt profile, growly voice and heavy spectacles actually looked and sounded like a fanatic. His habit of throwing out one-liners alluding to things like nuclear war probably didn't help him either.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Erunáme wrote:
Anthriel wrote:Wow. I had no idea.
Rachel Maddow did a piece showing how a shutdown has been in the works for a few years now. It's very worth watching (and I hope you won't immediately discredit her as she's a liberal. She's very good at backing her positions with facts and good research.)
I don't think the shutdown is part of some grand strategy so much as "wait a minute; we get to stick it to Obama, maybe derail the ACA, and shut the federal government down for a while? Win win win baby!".
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Don't know nothing about no Goldwater but a quick google turns up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVNoClu0h9M

Which is the thing - everybody thinks (or claims to think) that their position is "in defense of liberty" or "in the pursuit of justice" or somesuch.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Erunáme wrote: Rachel Maddow did a piece showing how a shutdown has been in the works for a few years now. It's very worth watching (and I hope you won't immediately discredit her as she's a liberal. She's very good at backing her positions with facts and good research.)
The fact that you are concerned I would "immediately discredit" her because she's a liberal makes me sad, a little. I am actually much more middle-of-the-road than many people here, which is one of the reasons why I can post at all in these types of discussions. A true conservative would really find no common ground here, IMHO.

Though I think actual religion is a huge factor (and racism.)
This isn't the first time I've heard this lately, and it REALLY makes me sad.
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

anthriel wrote:The fact that you are concerned I would "immediately discredit" her because she's a liberal makes me sad, a little. I am actually much more middle-of-the-road than many people here, which is one of the reasons why I can post at all in these types of discussions. A true conservative would really find no common ground here, IMHO.
It was more of a 'just in case' statement. I have no knowledge of what you may think about her, but I do know that many conservatives don't like what she has to say. I probably said that because I'd already experienced other conservatives immediately writing her off and refusing to watch that clip.

I'm sorry that I've upset you. :( I know you're very much a moderate and are open to discussion.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Cerin wrote:and there's Boehner, who had to placate the radicals in order to retain his leadership position (he was humiliatingly replaced as speaker once before and doesn't want to repeat the experience.
No, he has been Speaker continuously since 2010, and never was Speaker before that. He was narrowly reelected this year after an insurrection by the Tea Party conservatives who are driving the current situation. What you might be thinking of is that in 1998, he was ousted as the chairman of the House Republican Conference, after his party lost five congressional seats. He later came back to be surprisingly elected as Majority Leader in 2006(when Dennis Hassert was Speaker). When the GOP lost the House and Nancy Pelosi became Speaker, he was elected Minority Leader. Then when the GOP regained the House he became Speaker, and has been so ever since.

However, he has virtually no power at this point, so far as I can see. He knows full well that the current strategy is not good for either the country or his party (he literally said so earlier in the year; I can dig up the link) and yet he can't stop it without virtually being assured of being ousted as Speaker. Of course, in my opinion that is no excuse, but it is at least an explanation.
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Then Boehner should just eat it, cave in already, and lose his Speakership. One man's ambition cannot be worth this, and if he really wants to serve his country, he will... diminish, and go into the West, and remain a loyal American.

Thank you for your grace, Eru. :hug: I am always hearing that I do not do enough research and reading, and the truth is I don't. My husband is SO strong in this political stuff, and his beliefs are diametrically opposed to those on this board. My moderate views disappoint him, I think.

I won't listen to Limbaugh, though. Even though he "does his research and has facts to back him up", too. I really am leery of anyone, anywhere, who spouts over-the-top rhetoric and tries to paint the "other side" as maniacal monsters.

It's hard to not belong. I think it would be easier to belong.

Anyway, I digress again. Sorry, guys.

And Eru: thanks again.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Thanks for that correction, Voronwë!!! (I knew I should have checked that before posting.)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The nice thing is that I know that I can post something like that, and your reaction would be gratitude for having the correct information, rather than resentment at being corrected.

In any event, your basic point was sound. I do think that Boehner's past history is a factor. But I think the biggest factor driving the current debacle is pride. The Tea Party faction of the GOP has set up a dynamic in which they made demands that the President can't possible give in to (even this president, who has long been derided as the 'conciliator in chief'), and now they can't back off those demands without feeling like they look weak. And so we spiral out of control.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Well, now you're just being an... Well you know.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Ah, hal.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Sci-Fi/Fantasy novelist Elizabeth Moon, former Marine, and married to an M.D. feels the Republicans should be arrested for treason for blocking the democratic process. I actually sympathize with her, and certainly agree the shutdown is doing irreparable harm to the GOP's reputation.

She's written a letter to her congressman in the sort of pithy prose only an experienced writer can manage. Wish I could cut and paste it here. There is one part about a corkscrew that is absolutely hilarious, but I will leave it to your imaginations... :D

If you're interested in seeing her comments, you can register for her blog on SSF-NET. I imagine she's also on Facebook.

A local (Canadian)newspaper cartoonist portrayed the Republicans as cave men. The cartoon also featured an elephant (mammoth) with numerous spears stuck in it, to show how the GOP had shot themselves in the foot (or in this case, head, probably causing permanent brain damage!)
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

A little bit of levity on the shutdown:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/atla ... ers-100913